Take your pick of foreign language courses at Delhi University. You can choose between a cluster of part-time Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma and full-time degree level courses either at the University level or from several Colleges running their own programs in DU.
Over the last decade or so we have witnessed a huge surge in demand for foreign language professionals. Learning is not only great for your hobby or travelling but can also broaden foreign language job prospects, business opportunities and career options in foreign languages.
Established in 1922, Delhi University is the premier university consistently ranked as one of the best universities in the country. With high-quality education and eminent faculty, The University of Delhi is a leader in foreign language education and research and boasts some of the most prestigious departments of foreign languages and affiliated Colleges in India.
Types of Foreign Language Courses in DU
When it comes to foreign language courses in University of Delhi, students have two options: (i) Part-time courses (Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma) or (ii) Full-time Degree level courses (B.A., M.A., M.Phil and PhD).
For part-time courses, you have to contact the respective Colleges. There are 24 DU Colleges with foreign language programs. Every College has different admission procedure and dates. Admission is done mostly through merit list or cut-off. There is also a possibility of direct admission if a number of applicants are less than the total number of seats.
There are many DU colleges such as Hindu, Gargi, Hansraj, St. Stephen’s College, Daulat Ram, Zakir Husain, Jesus & Mary, Ramjas, Lady Shri Ram College to name just a few, with a varied range of foreign language courses in Delhi University. You can find the entire list with all the details in this article.
For Full-Time courses, The Arts Faculty through various departments offers PG Diploma / Advanced Diploma, Bachelor of Arts (BA), Master of Arts (MA), M.Phil and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees in many languages. Zakir Husain and Jesus & Mary also run UG degree course. Admission is based on the entrance exam and in some cases, especially UG programs are done through merit list.
While Arts faculty also conducts part-time classes in Portuguese, Arabic, Persian, and also some not so popular languages courses in Bulgarian, Romanian, Swahili, Polish, Tibetan, etc. These language courses are not available in any Colleges affiliated to DU. Arts faculty does not offer part-time courses in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese and Korean.
Which Language should i choose in DU?
There are many factors you should consider while choosing a foreign language to learn in DU: difficulty level, personal preference, interest, target country or region, sectors or industries, possible immigration, and future goals, etc. French, Spanish, German, Chinese and Japanese remain on top in the category wish list of most of the student interested in pursuing foreign language courses in Delhi University. However, in recent years – Demand for Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Korean and Arabic are also on the rise for a variety of reasons.
A) List of DU colleges offering Foreign Language Courses
These are the Colleges affiliated to the University of Delhi which you can go for so as to learn the Foreign Language courses in Delhi. Choose the one that suits you the best.
(i) Delhi University – North Campus Colleges
- St. Stephen’s College, University Enclave – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French, Spanish, German, Chinese and Japanese. Certificate and Diploma in Arabic, and Certificate in Persian.
- Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce, Pitampura – Certificate in French, German, Chinese, Korean and Japanese.
- Satyawati College, Ashok Vihar – Certificate & Diploma in French and German.
- Daulat Ram College *, Maurice Nagar – Certificate & Diploma in Chinese and Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French, Spanish, Italian, German, Korean and Japanese.
- HansRaj College, Malka Ganj – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French and German.
- Ramjas College, Maurice Nagar, Delhi University – Certificate in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Korean, Japanese & Chinese, Diploma in French, Japanese & Chinese and Advanced Diploma in French.
- Keshav Mahavidyalaya, Pitampura, Near Sainik Vihar – Certificate in French and German.
- Mata Sundri College *, Mata Sundri Lane – Certificate in French, Spanish and German.
- Miranda House *, Patel Chest Marg – Certificate in French, Spanish and German.
- SGTB Khalsa College, Mall Road – Certificate in Spanish, Russian, German, Korean, Chinese and Japanese.
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, Karampura – Certificate in Russian.
- Hindu College, University of Delhi – Certificate in French, German, Spanish and Russian.
- Zakir Husain College, Jawaharlal Nehru Marg – Certificate in Russian.
- LakshmiBai College *, Ashok Vihar – Certificate in Chinese and Japanese.
- Kalindi College *, East Patel Nagar – Certificate in Chinese language.
(ii) Delhi University – South Campus Colleges
- Jesus & Mary College *, Chanakyapuri – Certificate in French.
- College of Vocational Studies, Sheikh Sarai Ph-II – Certificate and Diploma in French and German.
- Delhi College of Arts and Commerce, Netaji Nagar – Certificate in French, German & Spanish and Diploma in Spanish & German.
- Acharya Narendra Dev College, Govindpuri, Kalkaji – Certificate in Russian, Certificate & Diploma in French, Spanish and German & Advanced Diploma in Spanish.
- Kamla Nehru College *, August- Kranti Marg – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French
- Bharti College *, Janakpuri – Certificate in Russian, French, Chinese & German and Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French & German.
- Sri Venkateswara College, Dhaula Kuan – Certificate in German and Chinese.
- Gargi College *, Siri Road fort – Certificate in German.
- Lady Shri Ram College *, Lajpat Nagar 4 – Certificate in Russian.
* Women’s Colleges of DU.
Certificate level requires candidates to have passed 10+2. For Diploma and advanced diploma level, certification and Diploma is required respectively in the corresponding language. Admission will be given on merit or entrance test.
(iii) Arabic & Persian at Zakir Husain College
Affiliated to University of Delhi since 1925, Zakir husain Delhi College holds the distinction of being in existence well before the establishment of Delhi university. It carries within itself nearly a history of 300 years as an institute of learning and one of the best place to learn Arabic Language in India.
The Department of Persian offers BA and MA in the Persian Language. For 2019, a Total number of seats are 19 for BA (Hons.) in Arabic and Persian. The Arabic department, with its dedicated, competent and committed teachers and student-centered teaching methodology, offers Bachelor’s and Master’s programme focusing on the study of Arabic language and literature.
(iv) Spanish at Jesus & Mary College
Over the last 4 decades, Jesus & Mary College has expanded and reached out to thousands of young women who have graduated from the College. The college also has a dedicated placement cell since 1998. In-depth study of the Spanish language not only allows for better communication, but it also helps to develop an understanding of Hispanic cultures and their rich artistic and literary histories.
Why Learn Spanish? There are plenty of benefits of learning spanish language. One main attraction is job opportunities after learning Spanish. J&M College Spanish department offers B.A. (Hons.) in Spanish Language. Total number of seats are 18 for BA course. Admission is done through written exam and merit list.
B) Foreign Language Courses in Delhi University (Arts Faculty)
Delhi University’s Faculty of Arts has many departments functioning under it. These are Department of Arabic, Department of Buddhist Studies, Department of Germanic and Romance Studies, Department of Persian, Department of East Asian Studies and Department of Slavonic & Finno-Ugrian studies.
1. Department of Germanic and Romance Studies
Established in 1948, The Department of Germanic and Romance studies is widely recognized as one of the best places to pursue foreign language courses at Delhi University. All European language programs offer an interdisciplinary curriculum, with an emphasis on history, literature, language, and culture.
Every year, a large number of students of the Department avail of scholarships to study or do research at universities in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Mexico, Romania, Austria, etc. The GRS dept. also has cooperation agreements with several universities abroad with for exchange programmes & study trips for students and research scholars. The Department offers the following courses:
- 3-year B.A. (Hons.) in French, German, Italian and Spanish
- MA in French, German, Hispanic (Spanish) and Italian Studies
- MPhil & PhD Programme in French, German, Hispanic (Spanish) and Italian Studies
- Intensive 1 year Full-time Advanced Diploma in Portuguese
- Part-time: Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in Portuguese & Romanian
For 2019 admission, For B.A. (Hons.) in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Total number of seats are 41 for each course. For M.A. in French, Hispanic (Spanish), Italian and German, Total number of seats are 23 for each language course.
The department also offers French, Spanish and German as Discipline Courses-II in few Colleges. (i) Jesus & Mary College – French and Spanish, (ii) Delhi College of Arts and Commerce – German and Spanish, (iii) Gargi College – German, (iv) Vivekanand College – French and (v) Ramanujan College – French.
Read — French Course in Delhi | Spanish Courses in Delhi | German Course in Delhi | Italian Course in Delhi | Portuguese Courses in Delhi | French Proficiency Test | German Proficiency Exam | Spanish Proficiency Test
2. Department of Slavonic & Finno-Ugrian Studies
Delhi university’s Department of Slavonic and Finno-Ugrian Studies is the only place in India where one can learn Slavonic languages namely Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Polish and Hungarian from the Finno-Ugrian group of languages. All programs offer an interdisciplinary curriculum, with an emphasis on literature, language and culture and to acquaint students with the diverse and rich civilizations of the important regions of East – Central Europe and Russia.
The Department of Slavonic & Finno-ugrian studies provides an excellent environment to pursue language and literature study to some of the greatest literary works and scholarly writings produced in East-Central Europe and Russia.
The SFUS dept. offers 1-year part-time Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Russian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Polish and Hungarian language course in Delhi. Additionally, you can also enroll for one-year Regular Intensive Advanced Diploma in Bulgarian if you’ve got a keen interest in the culture and history of Bulgaria.
Thanks to the historical reasons to Learn Russian in India, Dept. is well-known for Russian Language Course at Delhi University. They also offer One Year Full-Time Intensive Advanced Diploma, M.A., M.Phil and Ph.D. in Russian. For M.A. in Russian studies, a total number of seats are 30 for 2019-2021. Those who are doing M.A. in Russian can also choose Polish as a complementary subject.
3. Department of Arabic
The Department of Arabic is one of the oldest departments in the University offering dating back to 1922, the year of the inception of DU. The Department of Arabic – Arts Faculty offers 1-year Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Modern Arabic. The center also offers BA, MA, MPhil and Doctorate programs in Arabic. For Master degree in Arabic, a total number of seats is 46 for the academic year 2019-2021. After Arabic Language courses in JNU, DU is the second best choice for an Arabic Language course in Delhi.
4. Department of Persian
Started in 1957, The Department of Persian is one of the oldest department of the University of Delhi in the field of language learning. The Department of Persian – Arts Faculty offers 1-year Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Persian. If you’re interested in learning Persian in India, then you can pursue BA, MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in Persian. For M.A. in a Persian language course in Delhi campus, a Total number of seats is 30 for the academic year 2019-2021. After Persian Language courses in Jamia Millia Islamia, DU is another great choice in North India.
5. Department of East Asian Studies
The Department of East Asian Studies introduced Chinese Studies in 1964, Japanese Studies in 1969, and Korean Studies in 2001. The Department of East Asian studies – Arts Faculty offers One Year Full-time Post Graduate Intensive Diploma Course in Chinese (CF-1), Korean (KF-1) & Japanese (JF-1) and One Year Full-time Post Graduate Intensive Advanced Diploma Course in Chinese (CF-2), Korean (KF-2) & Japanese (JF-2).
The Department also offers MA in Japanese (MA-JL) and M.A., M.Phil, and PhD in East Asian studies. All students have to choose one language between Chinese, Korean and Japanese while pursuing M.A. / M.Phil / PhD in East Asian studies. Total number of seats are 39 for East Asian Studies and 16 for MA in Japanese respectively. For Ph.D., number of seats are decided every year. The admission procedure for PG courses consist of a written test and an interview.
6. Department of Buddhist Studies
The Department of Buddhist Studies was established in 1957 as follow up to the action initiated by the Government of India on the occasion of the celebration of 2500 years of Buddhism on 24 May 1956. The DBS Dept. offers One-year part-time Certificate and One-year part-time Diploma in Pali and Tibetan language and literature.
Department also offers M.A., M.Phil, and Ph.D. in Buddhist studies with a vision of to prepare Buddhologists who would excel in knowledge, orientation, and application of Buddhist thought of peace and non-violence with high ethical standards and social relevance. Language is also part of Buddhist studies. After Tibetan and Pali Language courses in BHU, DU is one of the excellent choices for Tibetan Language course in Delhi.
7. Department of African Studies
The Department of African Studies is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences of the University of Delhi. It was established in December 1954. The Department of African Studies – Arts Faculty offers 1-year Certificate and 1-year Diploma in the Swahili Language. Those who are doing M.Phil and Ph.D. in African studies have to choose the Swahili Language as a compulsory subject.
Read — (i) Language Courses in Pune University (ii) Language Courses in Kolkata University (iii) Language Courses in Mumbai University (iv) Language Courses in Chennai (v) Language Courses in Hyderabad (vi) Language Courses in Noida (vii) Language Courses in Gurgaon (viii) Language Courses in Visva Bharati (ix) Language Courses in IGNOU (x) Language Courses offered by Embassies
Admission, Eligibility, Process, Entrance Exam, Dates 2019
For Admission in Under Graduate (BA Programme), You need to pass in 10+2. For few courses, admission is done on the basis of entrance exam while for some courses, admissions are based on merit list / cut-off.
If you want to pursue a part-time courses in foreign languages, then you should directly contact the College concerned. Admission is mostly done through merit list. Preference is given to existing students of the same College. Prior knowledge of the language is not required for Certificates. However, for Diploma and Advanced Diploma, Certificate and Diploma in the same language is mandatory.
For PG Intensive Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Chinese / Japanese / Korean (CF-1, JF-1 and KF-1), Bachelor’s Degree is required followed by Common Entrance Test (SLAT) of the Department of East Asian Studies. For Advanced Diploma (CF-2, JF-2 and KF-2), Bachelor’s Degree + Diploma in the corresponding Language (KP-1) / (JP-1) / (CK-1). Final admission is done on the basis of entrance exam.
For MA courses, Minimum Eligibility is BA in any stream with good Knowledge in the same language since Admission is based on written exam and then viva-voce in some cases too. Question paper will be in the corresponding language.
For research courses M.Phil, The candidate should have good academic record and Master’s Degree with 55% marks. All the eligible candidates are required to sit for entrance test as per the dates announced by the Department. Weightage is 75 marks for written test and 25 marks for Interview. Good Knowledge in the same language is required.
For research courses, Ph.D., The admission in DU will be granted on the basis of entrance examination (75 marks for written test and 25 marks for Interview). Minimum Eligibility is M.Phil or M.A. with an excellent academic from the University of Delhi or any recognized University. Good Knowledge in the same language is mandatory.
Delhi University Admission 2019 – 2020
Delhi University registrations have started from May 30, 2019. Since the application forms for all courses will be completely online, the applicants have to visit the DU website. For part-time language courses in DU, the admission procedure normally starts from mid of June to July in many colleges. For more information, check the website of the College concerned or visit the College.
- Online Registration Begins From — 30th May (UG), 03rd June (PG, M.Phil, and Ph.D.).
- Closing of Online Application Form — 2nd week of June (The Date is yet to be announced).
- Cut-off List — 2nd to 4th Week of June (UG) (The Date is yet to be announced).
- Entrance Test for PG courses or wherever applicable — 3rd Week of June 2019.
- Courses Offered (UG) — BA in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Arabic and Persian.
- Admission in BA for the aforementioned languages will be done on Merit-based.
- Admission — 4th week of June 2019 (The Date is yet to be announced).
- E-prospectus for Undergraduate (UG) courses — LINK
- Apply Online — LINK (UG)
- Admission Helpdesk — 011 – 2700 6900, 2766 7092, 2411 6178.