Are you looking to pursue foreign language courses at EFLU (English and Foreign Language University)? Dedicated to the study of English and foreign languages, EFLU is one of the best university and only one of its kind in India if you’re interested in learning a language.
Established in 1958, The EFL University has three campuses: the main campus is in Hyderabad. To cater to the North East and the North, two regional campuses were established in Shillong (1973) and Lucknow (1979). The EFL regularly conducts national and international seminars, conferences, events, and workshops, and invites eminent researchers to address the students on research methodology and state of research in the field of languages.
The EFLU is the only University in India and South Asia that focuses exclusively on the teaching of languages. The main thrust of the University is to conduct advanced research and training in various languages such as Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Persian and Turkish in the areas of Teacher Education, Production of teaching materials, Literature, History, Linguistics, Traditions, Customs, Interdisciplinary, and Cultural Studies.
The University currently has Memorandum of Understanding with 14 universities located in 9 countries, including USA, UK, France, Germany, Belgium and Italy. Students are sent on student-exchange programmes to other universities abroad and this hones their research skills. EFL University has had a long tradition of inviting internationally reputed scholars, intellectuals, visiting and guest faculty for public lectures, seminars and conferences.
EFL University Hyderabad
Today, The university has 7 Schools, 5 in the English Division and 2 in the Foreign Languages Division, and 26 Departments. EFL University Hyderabad offers graduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. doctorate research programmes. In addition, It also offers postgraduate diplomas, short-term Certificate, Diploma and advanced Diploma courses and degrees through the distance mode.
The Hyderabad centre has a Ramesh Mohan Library which provides resources for research. The library has a massive stockholding of nearly two lakh books, access to a very large number of international journals on different databases, e-books, CDs, videotapes and inter-library loan facilities on request. It has also digitized around 1600 dissertations submitted by research students, which are accessible on the University’s website.
To encourage students to join the research programmes, EFL offers a number of scholarships and other incentives. The Foreign Languages Division offers courses in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, and Spanish from Beginners Certificate level or zero-level to PhD. All programs offer an interdisciplinary curriculum, with an emphasis on literature, language and culture.
EFLU offers Foreign Language courses in Hyderabad through two schools, School of European Languages and School of Arab and Asian studies. There are four departments in the School of European Languages:
1) Department of French and Francophone Studies,
2) Department of Germanic Studies,
3) Department of Russian Studies and
4) Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies.
European languages occupy a place of eminence in the cultural world as a whole. Out of all European languages in India, French, German, Spanish and Russian are four very popular foreign language in India and some of the most taught languages in the world.
Department of French, Germanic Studies, Russian Studies, Hispanic and Italian studies under School of European Languages also promotes research in the areas of linguistics and phonetics, translation, literature and teaching of the corresponding language. The different departments also organize seminars, events, talks, workshops, conferences, extension lecture and colloquiums.
Part-Time courses in European Languages (French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian)
- 1-year Certificate of Proficiency in French / German / Spanish / Italian / Russian.
- 1-year part-time Diploma of Proficiency French / German / Spanish / Italian / Russian.
- 1-year Advanced Diploma of Proficiency French / German / Spanish / Italian / Russian.
- 1-year Intensive Advanced Diploma / Intensive Higher Advanced Diploma in Russian
- Russian is also offered as an optional course at the undergraduate level.
Full-time courses in in European Languages (French, Spanish, German, Russian)
- 3-year B.A.(Hons.) in French / German / Spanish / Russian.
- 2-year M.A. in French / German / Spanish / Russian Language & Literature.
- M.Phil / Ph.D. Research Degree in French / German / Spanish / Russian Language & Literature.
There are two departments in the School of Arab and Asian studies. Both departments offer various foreign language courses in EFLU Hyderabad campus.
1) Department of Arab studies, and
2) Department of Asian languages.
Part-Time courses in Arab & Asian languages. (Arabic, Persian, Japanese, Chinese & Korean)
- 1-year part-time Certificate of Proficiency in Arabic / Persian / Japanese / Chinese / Korean.
- 1-year part-time Diploma of Proficiency in Arabic / Persian / Japanese / Chinese / Korean.
- 1-year part-time Advanced Diploma of Proficiency in Arabic / Korean.
- 1-year part-time Diploma in Translation (Arabic – English).
Full-time courses in in Arab studies and Asian languages. (Arabic and Japanese)
- 3-year full-time B.A.(Hons.) in Arabic / Japanese.
- 2-year full-time M.A. in Arabic / Japanese Language & Literature.
- 1-year full-time Post-graduate Diploma in Teaching of Arabic (PGDTA)
- Ph.D. Research Degree in Arabic Language & Literature.
Website – Link
EFL university Shillong
Nestled among the pines in one of the most scenic cities of North-East India, the EFLU Shillong Campus was established in 1973. The English and Foreign Languages University (EFLU) Shillong Campus offers Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses in French, Russian, German and Spanish languages. The teaching hours is 150 hrs approx for each language.
Website – Link
EFL university Lucknow
Established in 1979, The EFL University Lucknow campus is housed in the Moti Mahal Campus, Rana Pratap Marg. They offer Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses in French, Russian and Spanish languages. Courses generally commence in July every year. Most of these Part-time courses are usually offered in the mornings (7-9 a.m) or evenings (6-8 p.m.)
Website – Link
Admission Procedure & Eligibility for Foreign Languages Courses
- No prior knowledge in the corresponding language is required for admission in Certificate courses. However for Diploma and Advanced Diploma if one has done the proficiency from some other institution other than the EFL University, one has to write the Entrance Test.
- For B.A. (Hons.) – Pass in the Intermediate/10+2 examination or its equivalent with 50% marks for general/OBC, and 45% for SC/ST candidates,with English as one of the subjects.
- For M.A. – A Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with a certificate of B1 level proficiency or Advanced Diploma in the same language.
- For Post-graduate Diploma in Teaching of Arabic (PGDTA) – M.A. in Arabic / Arabic Literature/ Linguistics / Teaching of Arabic with 55% marks for general/OBC, 50% marks for SC/ST candidates.
- For Ph.D. courses – M.A. in the corresponding language with 55% marks for general/OBC, 50% marks for SC/ST candidates. Candidates are required to give an interview before the Head of Department after having cleared the Ph.D. Entrance Test conducted by the University every year.
For Admission in B.A. (Hons.), M.A. and Ph.D. is done through all India Entrance exam. All entrance tests, except for Ph.D. programmes, are based on multiple-choice type questions on OMR sheet and are electronically evaluated to eliminate errors. The duration of each entrance test is two hours. Interview dates for Ph.D. programmes will be announced at a later date.
EFLU Admission 2019-2020 (Dates, Courses and Seats)
- Start of Online Application Process — 07th February, 2019.
- Closing of Online Application Process — 26th February, 2019.
- Date of EFLU Entrance Exam — 09th and 10th March 2019.
- Admission and Registration for selected candidates – April-May 2019.
- Courses offered (UG)— BA in Arabic, French, Japanese, German, Spanish and Russian.
- Courses offered (PG) — MA in Arabic, French, German, Spanish, Russian and PGDTA in Arabic.
- Courses offered (Doctorate) — Ph.D. in Arabic, French, German, Spanish and Russian.
- Total Number of Seats — 20 for each courses except Ph.D.
- eProspectus for 2019-2020 — LINK
Sharing is Caring