Are you looking for foreign language courses in Mumbai University? Interested in learning European Languages like French, Spanish, German, Russian, Italian or Asian languages such as Arabic, Persian, Japanese, Chinese Mandarin? In this article, you will find all the important information related to language classes offered by Mumbai University.
Established on 18th July, 1857, it is not only the oldest University in the state of Maharashtra but one amongst the first three universities in India. It is a University with Potential for Excellence Award accorded by the UGC. The University has been reaccredited with ‘A’ grade by the NAAC.
University of Mumbai has five campuses (i.e Fort campus (Main), Kalina, Ratnagiri, Thane and Kalyan). With 60 departments & Institutes and 749 affiliated colleges, It is one of the largest Indian public university in India. With a student population of over 7 lakh, MU is also one of the largest universities in the world.
Foreign Languages courses offered by Mumbai University
Faculty of Arts is one of the largest faculty in Mumbai University. Language, Linguistics and Literature is the part of Faculty of Arts. It is subdivided into many departments dedicated to learning foreign languages in Mumbai and other parts of Maharashtra.
Due to rising demand of Foreign language in India, Arts Faculty though many departments offers a number of Foreign language courses in Mumbai University. They offer various Under Graduate, Post Graduate Programmes, Certificate and Diploma Courses in several foreign languages such as French, German, Russian, Japanese, Arabic, Persian, Chinese, Italian, Spanish, etc.
1) Department of French
Established in 1964, the Department of French is one of the few departments in the country to specialize in French as well as francophone literature. The French courses is specially designed to cater to students who are interested in specializing in French language, literature, tourism, art, business French, translation, culture, and contemporary French society. The students can also take up one additional foreign language (Italian / Spanish / German / Arabic).
Since scope after learning French language in India is great. Thus, a wide variety of courses from the Beginners course in French to doctoral studies is offered by the Department of French. The Department of French also gains from enriching contributions made by visiting professors, research scholars from India and abroad. In addition, They also provides scholarships to meritorious students.
Due to rising Scope of Spanish Language as a Career and Italian language in India, Department also Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Spanish and Italian. If you’re looking for Spanish language courses in Mumbai at affordable price, MU is a good option. Short-term Courses are also offered in Italian.
Part-Time courses in French, Spanish and Italian
- 6 Week Short-Term Intensive Certificate in French / Spanish.
- 1-year Certificate / Diploma and Advanced Diploma in French, Spanish and Italian.
- Diploma / Advanced Diploma in French Translation.
Full-time courses in French
- 5-Year integrated course (B.A. and M.A.) in French studies. (Students have to take one more foreign language between Italian, Spanish, Arabic, German, Russian, Persian and Japanese)
- 2-year M.A. in French.
- Ph.D. Research Degree Course in French.
2) Department of German
The University of Mumbai is the oldest centre for German Studies in India. The goal is to impart quality education in German language, literature, culture, translation & intercultural studies. The department organises numerous seminars on language teaching, literature, intercultural hermeneutics, linguistics, translation, philosophy, aesthetics etc.
There are numerous reasons why to learn German in India and Mumbai University’s Department of German is a right place in Mumbai to pursue Degree-level courses in German. It also gains from constant academic interaction and exchange programmes with the German Universities of Göttingen, Hamburg, Freiburg, Heidelberg & the Austrian University of Klagenfurt. Meritorious students get the opportunity of pursuing partial studies/research at German/Austrian Universities.
The Department of German conducts various short-term as well as full-fledged academic & research programmes in German. Due to rising demand of Japanese Language in India, It also offers many part-time courses in Japanese and a full-time Undergraduate in Chinese.
Part-Time Programmes in German and Japanese
- 1-year in Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in German / Japanese.
- Short-Term Intensive Basic Certificate and Diploma Course in German.
- Diploma in Commercial & Technical Translation & Tourism in German.
- Short-Term Certificate Course in German.
- Conversational Course in German for Beginners (Summer Course).
- Diploma in Business Japanese.
- Diploma in Conversational Japanese.
Full-Time Degree Programmes: (Semester & Credit System)
- B.A. in German Studies.
- B.A. in Chinese Studies.
- M.A. in German Studies.
- M.A. (Hons.) in German Studies.
- Ph.D. in German.
3) Department of Russian
Due to the historical and good relation between India and Russia and also as an important language of science, research, diplomacy and trade, Russian has enjoyed considerable popularity with different sections of the public in Mumbai. The department of Russian offers a varied range of learning and teaching approaches, including events, lectures, seminars and written and spoken Russian language classes to students.
The Department of Russian offers full-fledged academic & research programmes. It conducts full time programmes in Russian Studies (B.A, M.A., Ph.D.) as well as part time Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma programmes in the Russian language.
Part-Time classes in Russian
- 3 months Full-time (120 hours) Short-Term Intensive Course in Basic Russian.
- 1-year part-time Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Russian.
Full-Time Programmes in Russian
- 5-year Integrated Programme (BA and MA) in Russian.
- 2 Year M.A. in Russian.
- Ph.D. in Russian.
4) Department of Persian
The Department of Persian offers various facilities to the students relating to electronic aids such as audio-video cassettes / CDs on relevant books. Not just the language, but center also focus on current affairs, history, literature, the culture of Iran as well as other Persian speaking countries. A wide variety of courses is offered by the Department of Persian.
- 1-year Part-Time Certificate / 1-year Diploma in the Persian language.
- 2-year Full-Time M.A. Programmes in Persian.
- Ph.D. Research Degree Course in Persian language and literature.
5) Department of Arabic
Established in June 1993, The Department of Arabic Language and Literature is amongst one of the oldest Departments of the University of Mumbai and has been imparting knowledge of Arabic to the benefits of students. They organize a National seminar on a theme concerning Arabic language and literature in which luminaries of Arabic language from different Universities of India participate and present their scholarly papers.
The Department of Arabic runs every year once-a-week Certificate Course in Arabic language, a Diploma Course in Arabic language and an Advanced Diploma Course in Arabic language. In addition to this, a Post-Graduate full time two years Masters Degree in Arabic language is also being conducted every year.
The Department of Arabic conducts the following courses:
- Part-time Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Arabic.
- Part-time Certificate / Diploma in Islamic studies
- Full-time M.A. in Arabic
- Full-time Ph.D. Research Degree Course in Arabic
6) Confucius Institute (Chinese Mandarin)
The Confucius Institute was established in 2013 at the University of Mumbai as a result of an agreement with Hanban, China. The Confucius Institute, affiliated with the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China, aim is to promote Chinese language and culture, support local Chinese teaching internationally, and facilitate cultural exchanges
The Confucius Institute at the Mumbai University is one of the over 500 Confucius Institutes worldwide and one of the two Confucius institutes in India. It offers language courses in Chinese mandarin at the Kalina campus of the MU throughout the year.
- Short-Term Certificate I (HSK 1) (Duration – 48 hours)
- Short-Term Certificate II (HSK 2) (Duration – 60 hours)
- Diploma I (HSK 3) (Duration – 80 hours)
- Diploma II (HSK 4) (Duration – 120 hours)
- Diploma III (HSK 5) (Duration – 170-180 hours)
Admission Procedure & Eligibility for Foreign Languages courses in Mumbai University
Students need to check the eligibility criteria and minimum requirement before they begin to fill the application form for Mumbai University 2018 and for future Admission.
- For Certificate courses – S.S.C. / I.C.S.E. / C.B.S.E. i.e. Certificate of having cleared the 10th Standard Examination recognised by this University. No prior knowledge of the corresponding language is required.
- For Diploma courses – Certificate of having cleared the 10th exam + Certificate in the corresponding language recognised by this University or having equivalent language competence.
- For Advanced Diploma courses – Certificate of having cleared the 10th exam + Diploma in the corresponding language recognised by this University or having equivalent language competence.
- For Diploma in French Translation, Qualification: B2 DELF in French + Entrance Exam.
- For Advanced Diploma in French Translation, Qualification: C1 DALF in French / Diploma in French Translation + Entrance Exam.
- For B.A. 1st year courses (Candidates passed with 45% in HSC or any other equivalent XII Standard Exam (ICSE, CBSE, IB) recognised by the University of Mumbai.
Admission in the corresponding language shall be done on merit basis i.e. according to the percentage in the qualifying exam and performance in the entrance test (Personal Interview) conducted by the respective Department.
- For B.A. 2nd year – 1st year B.A. + Passed A2 level or Diploma in the corresponding language or having equivalent language competence + Passed the written and oral entrance test of the corresponding Department, University of Mumbai.
- For MA programme – Minimum eligibility is B.A. in the corresponding language OR B.A. in any faculty + Passed Advanced Diploma or equivalent level of competence in the corresponding language + Entrance Test.
- For Ph.D Research Degree Course – One is required to give an interview before the Head of Department after having cleared the Ph.D. Entrance Test (PET) conducted by the University twice a year.
Candidates who have passed the U.G.C. (NET) or M.Phil. are exempted from appearing for PET and an entrance exam. Registration for Ph.D. is open throughout the year. Ph.D. Coursework shall be applicable as per University policy.
Admission is purely on merit and is subject to availability of seats as per the directions issued by University of Mumbai and Government of Maharashtra from time to time.
Other than foreign language courses in mumbai University, there are many Junior or Senior Colleges affiliated to University of Mumbai where one can pursue short-term as well as Degree level Foreign language courses. The language course offered are either optional or compulsory.
- Guru Nanak Khalsa College in Matunga offers French, Spanish, German, Japanese and Chinese.
- K C College offers classes in Mandarin Chinese and French.
- Sophia College for Women (Affiliated to the University of Mumbai) offers 3-year full-time B.A. (Hons.) in French thought Department of French.
- Ruia Foreign Language Centre – The college offers Certificate course in German / Spanish / French / Japanese (120 hours for all courses) and Certificate course in Chinese (60 Hours).
- St. Xavier’s College – St Xavier’s College, affiliated to the University of Mumbai, achieved autonomous status. Department of French offers French language course in Mumbai.
- Amity University, Mumbai – Amity University is part of the Amity education group which operates private universities and other educational institutes in India as well in other parts of the world. Mumbai center offers 3-year full-time B.A. (Hons.) in French, Spanish and German.
- There are few more Colleges in Mumbai affiliated to University of Mumbai such as Mithibai College of Arts, Vidya Prasarak Mandal, etc. that offers various certificate courses in Foreign language.