Take your pick of French, Spanish, German, Russian, Japanese, Arabic, Persian, Mandarin and other foreign language courses at Mumbai University. So, in this article, we’ll explore the different language programs offered by MU. Read along.
In the age of internationalization and increasingly interconnected world, knowledge of a foreign language is a skill that’s in growing demand no matter where you live. While there are plenty of advantages of studying a foreign language. The career scope in languages, studying overseas, cultural appreciations, possible immigration, well-paying language jobs and the pursuit of a hobby are some of the major reasons.
Established on 18th July 1857, University of Mumbai is the oldest University in Maharashtra as well as one amongst the first three universities in India. Currently, MU has five campuses (i.e Fort campus (Main), Kalina, Ratnagiri, Thane, and Kalyan). MU is well-known among language learners for its Language departments, which provide an excellent environment for language learning.
Foreign Languages courses offered by Mumbai University
The students of MU can focus on Modern Languages at the Faculty of Arts through the centre of Language, Linguistics, and Literature. The faculty through many departments dedicated to learning languages offer a variety of courses, ranging from part-time certificate and diploma to degree level full-time bachelor, master and doctorate programs in Mumbai and other parts of Maharashtra. The University currently offers 10 popular foreign languages.
1. Department of French
Founded in 1964, the Department of French is one of the prominent departments in the country to specialize in French as well as Francophone literature. Interdisciplinary study in a foreign language allows students to integrate the study of languages, history, literature, and culture at Mumbai University.
The French courses at MU are specially designed to cater to students who are interested in specializing in French language, literature, tourism, art, business, translation and interpretation, culture, and contemporary French society. A wide variety of courses from the Beginners to doctoral level is offered by the Department of French. Additionally, the students also gain from enriching contributions made by visiting professors and research scholars.
Due to the rising career scope of Spanish language and Italian language in India, the Mumbai University also offers several part-time Spanish and Italian Language courses. If you want to learn Spanish in Mumbai at an affordable price, MU is a great choice.
Part-Time courses in French, Spanish and Italian
- 6 Week Short-Term Intensive Certificate in French and Spanish.
- 1-year Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma in French, Spanish and Italian.
- Diploma and Advanced Diploma in French Translation.
Full-time courses in French
- 5-Year integrated course (B.A. and M.A.) in French studies.
- M.A. and Ph.D. in French.
Read — (i) Why Learn French? (ii) Career after studying French (iii) Importance of French Language (iv) Reasons to study French (v) Career Scope in Spanish (vi) Why Study Spanish? (vii) Reasons to study Spanish (viii) Demand of Spanish Language (ix) Scope of German in India (x) Career Options After Learning Japanese (xi) Scope of Russian Language (xii) Embassy Language Classes.
2. Department of German
The University of Mumbai is the oldest centre for German Studies in India. With a goal to impart quality education in German language, literature, culture, translation & intercultural studies, the department of German organizes numerous seminars on language teaching, literature, intercultural hermeneutics, linguistics, translation, philosophy, aesthetics and more.
There are numerous reasons to learn German in India and Department of German is the right place at Mumbai University for degree-level German language courses. It also gains from constant academic interaction & exchange programs and meritious students also get the opportunity of pursuing partial studies/research at numerous Universities in Germany and Austria.
The Department of German conducts various short-term as well as full-fledged academic & research programs in German. The Japanese language in India has experienced a boom in the early 21st century and to cater to the requirement, MU runs many part-time classes in Japanese and also BA in the Chinese language.
Part-Time Programmes in German and Japanese
- 1-year Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma in German and Japanese.
- Short-Term Intensive Basic Certificate and Diploma Course in German.
- Diploma in Commercial & Technical Translation & Tourism in German.
- Short-Term Certificate Course in German.
- Conversational Course in German for Beginners (Summer Course).
- Diploma in Business Japanese and Conversational Japanese.
Full-Time Degree Programmes: (Semester & Credit System)
- BA, MA, MA (Hons.), and Ph.D. in German Studies.
- BA in Chinese Studies.
3. Department of Russian
Due to the historical and good relation between India and Russia and also as an important language of science, research, diplomacy, and trade, the Russian language has enjoyed considerable popularity with different sections of the public in Mumbai. The department of Russian offers a varied range of learning and teaching approaches, including events, lectures, seminars and written and spoken Russian classes to students in Mumbai.
Part-Time classes in Russian
- 3 months Full-time (120 hours) Intensive course in basic Russian.
- 1-year part-time Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Russian.
Full-Time Programmes in Russian
- 5-year Integrated Programme (BA and MA) in Russian.
- M.A. and Ph.D. in Russian.
4) Department of Persian
There are many benefits of learning Persian. The Department of Persian at Mumbai University offers a variety of Persian course. Not just the Persian language, but Department of Persian also focus on current affairs, history, literature, the culture of Iran as well as other Persian speaking countries. It is one of the very few places in Mumbai to study the Persian language.
- 1-year Part-Time Certificate and Diploma in the Persian.
- M.A. and Ph.D. Research in Persian language and literature.
5. Department of Arabic
Being one of the oldest department of the University of Mumbai, the Department of Arabic imparts knowledge of Arabic through a varied range of courses and events to the benefits of students. They organize a national seminar on a theme concerning Arabic language and literature in which luminaries of the Arabic language in India from different Universities participate and present their scholarly papers.
- Part-time Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Arabic.
- Master and Ph.D. in Arabic.
6. Confucius Institute (Chinese Mandarin)
Exploring Chinese Course in Mumbai? Learn Mandarin by enrolling at Confucius Institute at MU. Affiliated with the Ministry of Education of China, it was established to promote the Chinese language in India and support local Chinese teaching, and facilitate cultural exchanges.
Advantages of Learning Chinese in India are infinite! The Confucius Institute conducts various Mandarin classes at the Kalina campus of the MU throughout the year. All the courses are designed as per the Chinese language proficiency tests i.e. HSK Exam
- Certificate I (HSK 1) (Duration – 48 hours)
- Certificate II (HSK 2) (Duration – 60 hours)
- Diploma I (HSK 3) (Duration – 80 hours)
- Diploma II (HSK 4) (Duration – 120 hours)
- Diploma III (HSK 5) (Duration – 170-180 hours)
Admission Procedure & Eligibility Criteria for Languages courses at MU
Students need to check the eligibility criteria and minimum requirement before they begin to fill the application form for Mumbai University 2019 and for future Admission.
- For Certificate – 10th Passed. No prior knowledge of the corresponding language is required.
- For Diploma – 10th passed + Certificate in the corresponding language recognized by MU or having equivalent competence.
- For Advanced Diploma – 10th passed + Diploma in the corresponding language recognized by MU or having equivalent competence.
- For Diploma and Advanced Diploma in French Translation, Qualification: B2 and C1 of French proficiency test respectively followed by an entrance exam.
- For B.A. 1st year courses (Candidates passed with 45% in HSC or any other equivalent XII Standard Exam (ICSE, CBSE, IB) recognized by the University of Mumbai.
Admission in the corresponding language shall be done on merit basis i.e. according to the percentage in the qualifying exam and performance in the entrance test (Personal Interview) conducted by the respective Department.
- For B.A. 2nd year – 1st year B.A. + Passed A2 level or Diploma in the corresponding language or having equivalent language competence + Passed the written and oral entrance test of the corresponding Department, University of Mumbai.
- For MA programme – Minimum eligibility is B.A. in the corresponding language OR B.A. in any faculty + Passed Advanced Diploma or equivalent level of competence in the corresponding language + Entrance Test.
- For Ph.D Research Degree Course – One is required to give an interview before the Head of Department after having cleared the Ph.D. Entrance Test (PET) conducted by the University twice a year.
Candidates who have passed the U.G.C. (NET) or M.Phil. are exempted from appearing for PET and an entrance exam. Registration for Ph.D. is open throughout the year. Ph.D. Coursework shall be applicable as per University policy.
Admission is purely on merit and is subject to availability of seats as per the directions issued by University of Mumbai and Government of Maharashtra from time to time.
Other than foreign language courses in Mumbai University, there are many Junior or Senior Colleges affiliated to the University of Mumbai where one can pursue short-term as well as Degree level Foreign language courses.
- Guru Nanak Khalsa College in Matunga offers French, Spanish, German, Japanese and Chinese.
- KC College offers classes in Mandarin Chinese and French.
- Sophia College for Women (Affiliated to the University of Mumbai) offers 3-year full-time B.A. (Hons.) in French thought Department of French.
- Ruia Foreign Language Centre – The college offers a Certificate course in German, Spanish, French, and Japanese. (120 hours for all courses) and Certificate course in Chinese (60 Hours).
- St. Xavier’s College – St Xavier’s College, affiliated to the University of Mumbai, achieved an autonomous status. Currently, the Department of French offers French courses in Mumbai.
- Amity University, Mumbai – Amity University, a private University and part of the Amity education group offers 3-year full-time B.A. (Hons.) in French, Spanish, and German.
- There are few more Colleges affiliated to MU such as Mithibai College of Arts, Vidya Prasarak Mandal, and more that offers various certificate courses in Foreign language.
I hope this list ends up in your pursuit of learning a foreign language at Mumbai University. You can contact these departments at MU for further information.
And while you’re on a self-improvement kick, why not try other language programs in the region like (i) Spanish Institutes in Mumbai (ii) Mandarin Institutes in Mumbai (iii) Language Courses in Pune. If you need any help, Let me know in the comment section!
Sharing is Caring