Want to study in South Korea and need funding? Take a look at Global Korea Scholarship 2022-2023 for undergraduate, postgraduate, doctorate degrees, and research programs.
Studying at a South Korean university can open up a wide range of opportunities in today’s ever-growing competitive job market.
Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) is the most popular one of all the Korean scholarship choices. It offers bachelor’s, master’s, Ph.D., and research programs to deserving candidates worldwide.
Let’s find all the details.
Table of Contents
- Why Study in South Korea of all choices?
- What is the Global Korea Scholarship?
- Seats and Track
- Scholarship Benefits
- How to apply?
- Eligibility Criteria for GKS-UG 2022
- Elgibility Criteria for GKS-Graduate 2022-2023
- 5 Things decides GKS Scholarship selection
Why Study in South Korea of all choices?
South Korea is becoming an increasingly attractive destination for students from all over the world. The reasons are self-evident.
Korea is a few nations that empower you to get a quality education with a rich cultural experience and flourishing student life!
There are many reasons to study in Korea, from internationally recognized degrees and hubs of innovation and technological advancement to affordable tuition fees and plenty of scholarships.
About 400 public and private universities offer undergraduate, graduate, and research programs in several areas of study.
There are several top-ranked universities in Korea. Seoul National University (SNU), Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Yonsei University, Korea University (KU), Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), Sungkyunkwan University (SKKU), to name a few.
You can visit beautiful tourist destinations, enjoy delicious foods, and live a high quality of Korean life. You can also explore culture, Kpop, and much more.
What is the Global Korea Scholarship?
The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) is a South Korean government initiative that provides students with scholarships. Before this, they referred to it as KGSP (Korean Government Scholarship Program).
The scholarship program allows students from around the world to study in South Korea. NIIED administers GKS on behalf of the Ministry of Education in Korea.
Each year, the Korean government organizes a competitive scholarship program called the “Global Korea Scholarship” to offer students more opportunities around the globe.
Students can complete undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees in the Republic of Korea through the program.
Seats and Track
There are a total of 220 scholarships available for GKS undergraduate programs in 2022-2023.
The embassy track and the university track are two different ways to apply. Through the embassy, they select 125, while 95 students are available to universities.
For the GKS graduates, research, and doctoral research, there are a total of 1278 scholarships for 2022-2023. This includes 663 through the embassy, and 615 for the universities track.
(i) Total seats for India (Undergraduate courses)
There are 8 seats available for Indian applicants in 2022-2023. There are 3 through the embassy track, 3 through the university track, and 2 for associate degrees.
(ii) Total seats for India (Postgraduate programs)
Many more seats have been allocated to India for GKS-G (master’s, doctorate, and research) than bachelor’s programs. Here is the breakdown of quotas for Indian applicants for the 2022-2023 GKS graduate programs.
Under the embassy track, 22 seats are available for Indians in the general applicants’ category and 1 for Korean language teachers.
The research program has one seat reserved for India. There are also 5 seats open to Indians and 144 other participating countries.
Under the university track, 19 seats are for General majors and 11 for Science & Engineering majors of the Regional Universities. Thus, 30 seats are available for Indian students on the university track.
The university track also has 5 quotas for research programs. Indian nationals and citizens of 76 NIIED-listed countries are eligible.
To sum up, 54 (22+1+1+19+11) GKS graduate seats are available to India in 2022-2023. Indians can also apply for 10 additional quotas under both tracks for research programs.
Below is a detailed breakdown of the scholarship value:
- You don’t have to worry about the air tickets. They provide the actual cost of your airfare of economy class.
- There is an allowance of KRW 200,000 for resettlement.
- Undergraduate students receive a monthly living allowance of KRW 900,00.
- All candidates receive free national health insurance. This is given out twice a year at the start of the term.
- They cover the total cost of Korean language courses up to a maximum of 1,000,000 KRW per quarter.
- They cover the actual cost of tuition (no more than KRW 5 million per semester).
- Students who hold a valid TOPIK level 5 or 6 receive a monthly reward of KRW 100,000.
- After completing the degree, they give an amount of KRW 100,000.
The benefits can vary, depending on the course, track, and university. Check the details on the official portal.
How to apply?
They accept applications only during certain months. They made an announcement about this on the government’s website. This varies from program to program.
The application period for undergraduate programs is usually September-October. For graduate programs, this period is usually February-March.
You can apply for the GKS through the embassy track or university track. Then, along with application forms, submit the documents required by the university to the Korean embassy in your native country.
While you have to choose three universities for the embassy track, you can apply directly to a particular university.
Documents required for Undergraduate
Documents required for postgraduates
You can upload scanned copies at the time of online application at LINK
- Marks sheet of Secondary Examination (Class X).
- Marks sheet of Higher Secondary Examination (Class XII).
- Last Grade Card available (if you are an appearing candidate) or degree certificate if already passed candidates.
- Self attested Proof of citizenship for self and parents (Voter ID card (apostille) / passport).
There are some more documents and requirements. For complete details, visit the Korean government site and check and verify all the details.
Getting a Visa
Before traveling to South Korea for your studies, you will need a student visa (D-2). One can get them from the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in India, New Delhi, or the Consulate offices in Chennai or Mumbai.
Relaxation for the Indian students
Because of the time and expense required for Indian students, the Korean Embassy in India has decided to accept notarized documents.
This means you don’t need the consular authenticated or apostille-ed documents for the 1st round of selection. However, remember that this only applies to embassy track applicants.
Applicants must submit 1 set of application forms, certificates (notarized), and a recommendation letter sealed in one envelope.
Once you pass the interview round and are selected, you must re-submit 1 set of consular-authenticated (or apostilled) documents.
Eligibility Criteria for GKS-UG 2022
- You must be an Indian citizen.
- The candidates must be under 25 age (born after March 1, 1997).
- Applicants must be high school pass out or expected to pass by February 28, 2022. In that case, you need to submit the certificate of expected graduation at the time of applying.
- Applicants need a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) similar to or higher than one of the following from their high school.
→ On a 100-point scale, one should score 80% or above, or one needs to rank within the top 20% of their class.
→ CGPA: 2.64/4.0 or 2.80/4.3 or 2.91/4.5, or 3.23/5.0.
- To study in Korea for the entire course duration, you must be in good physical and mental health.
Before applying for the Global Korea Scholarship 2022, you must carefully read the complete GKS guidelines and eligibility criteria.
Dates to Apply for GKS-UG in India
For undergraduates, scholarship applications must be submitted by October 8, 2021. For the academic term 2022-2023, the process will start in September/October 2022.
Elgibility Criteria for GKS-Graduate 2022-2023
The age limit is 40 for master’s and Ph.D. programs. Applicants need a minimum of 16 and 18 years of formal education to apply for PG and Ph.D. courses.
For proof of citizenship of applicants and parents, if you don’t have government certification like a birth certificate. Then, you can submit a voter ID card (apostille) or a passport copy. They don’t accept Aadhaar cards.
Applicants expected to graduate must submit an official certificate of desired graduation certificate letter that indicates the month date of graduation.
You can submit a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) in one of the grading scales (4.0, 4.3, 4.5, 5.0, or 100 point scale). Plus, if one needs to convert the grades, you need to provide supporting documents officially issued by the college or university.
Applicants who are interested in graduate (Masters, Research, R&D, and Ph.d. programs) can apply online on the Ministry’s of Education portal — LINK.
Dates to Apply for GKS-G in India
You can apply between 21 February 2022 to 09 March 2022.
Applicants need to submit 4 copies of the 2022 GKS application form available on the Korean government website duly filled along with the supporting documents latest by 11th March 2022.
Send to the Under Secretary (Scholarships), Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education, 2nd Floor, Wing-6, West Block – l, R. K. Puram, New Delhi- 110066.
Applicants need to mention their registration number generated during application submission on the Sakshat Portal of the Ministry of Education site. Put this on the Top of Envelop containing the physical application and related documents.
Apply online → Application form for GKS-G
They won’t receive the applications once the deadline is over.
For more information about this scholarship, please visit the noticeboard website.
5 Things decides GKS Scholarship selection
Getting a scholarship isn’t that easy. Here are five top factors that will determine your chances of receiving the GKS scholarship. (These are just my view).
- Your academic qualifications and achievements from school times till today and extracurricular activities.
- Recommendation letters from various educators who taught you in various institutions.
- How good you write your personal statement and SOP.
- Korean language, specially TOPIK certification. The higher level, the better!
- How you perform in the interview (Your knowledge of South Korea, your skills, aim, reasons for going to Korea, to name a few). They may, after all, ask whatever they want.
Remember, these aren’t official selection criteria, but my guesswork is based on various reasons, hearsay, feedback, and understanding. So, take only as suggestions and not hard facts.