Want to study in South Korea and need funding? Take a look at Global Korea Scholarship 2022-2023 for undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctorate degrees.
Studying at a South Korean university can open up a wide range of opportunities in today’s ever-growing competitive job market.
Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) is the most popular one of all the Korean scholarship choices. It offers bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph.D. research programs to deserving candidates worldwide.
Let’s find all the details.
Table of Contents
Why Study in South Korea of all choices?
South Korea is becoming an increasingly attractive destination for students from all over the world. The reasons are self-evident.
Korea is a few nations that empower you to get a quality education with a rich cultural experience and flourishing student life!
There are many reasons to study in Korea, from internationally recognized degrees and hubs of innovation and technological advancement to affordable tuition fees and plenty of scholarships.
About 400 public and private universities offer undergraduate, graduate, and research programs in several areas of study.
There are several top-ranked universities in Korea. Seoul National University (SNU), Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Yonsei University, Korea University (KU), Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), Sungkyunkwan University (SKKU), to name a few.
You can visit beautiful tourist destinations, enjoy delicious foods, and live a high quality of Korean life. You can also explore culture, Kpop, and much more.
What is the Global Korea Scholarship?
The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) is a South Korean government initiative that provides students with scholarships. Before this, they referred to it as KGSP (Korean Government Scholarship Program).
The scholarship program allows students from around the world to study in South Korea. NIIED administers GKS on behalf of the Ministry of Education in Korea.
Each year, the Korean government organizes a competitive scholarship program called the “Global Korea Scholarship” to offer students more opportunities around the globe.
Students can complete undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees in the Republic of Korea through the program.
Seats and Track
There are a total of 220 scholarships available for GKS undergraduate programs in 2022-2023.
The embassy track and the university track are two different ways to apply. Through the embassy, they select 125, while 95 students are available to universities.
For graduates and doctoral research, they will announce the seats in Feb-March 2022.
Total seats for India for Undergraduate Program
There are 8 seats available for Indian applicants in 2022-2023. There are 3 through the embassy track, 3 through the university track, and 2 for associate degrees.
Below is a detailed breakdown of the scholarship value:
- You don’t have to worry about the air tickets. They provide the actual cost of your airfare of economy class.
- There is an allowance of KRW 200,000 for resettlement.
- Undergraduate students receive a monthly living allowance of KRW 900,00.
- All candidates receive free national health insurance. This is given out twice a year at the start of the term.
- They cover the total cost of Korean language courses up to a maximum of 1,000,000 KRW per quarter.
- They cover the actual cost of tuition (no more than KRW 5 million per semester).
- Students who hold a valid TOPIK level 5 or 6 receive a monthly reward of KRW 100,000.
- After completing the degree, they give an amount of KRW 100,000.
How to apply?
They accept applications only during certain months. They made an announcement about this on the government’s website. This varies from program to program.
The application period for undergraduate programs is usually September-October. For graduate programs, this period is usually February-March.
You can apply for the GKS through the embassy track or university track. Then, along with application forms, submit the documents required by the university to the Korean embassy in your native country.
While you have to choose three universities for the embassy track, you can apply directly to a particular university.
Documents required for Undergraduate
Getting a Visa
Before traveling to South Korea for your studies, you will need a student visa (D-2). One can get them from the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in India, New Delhi, or the Consulate offices in Chennai or Mumbai.
Relaxation for the Indian students
Because of the time and expense required for Indian students, the Korean Embassy in India has decided to accept notarized documents.
This means you don’t need the consular authenticated or apostille-ed documents for the 1st round of selection. However, remember that this only applies to embassy track applicants.
Applicants must submit 1 set of application forms, certificates (notarized), and a recommendation letter sealed in one envelope.
Once you pass the interview round and are selected, you must re-submit 1 set of consular-authenticated (or apostilled) documents.
- You must be an Indian citizen.
- The candidates must be under 25 age (born after March 1, 1997). The age limit is 40 for master’s and Ph.D. programs.
- Applicants must be high school pass out or expected to pass by February 28, 2022. In that case, you need to submit the certificate of expected graduation at the time of applying. Applicants need a minimum of 16 and 18 years of formal education to apply for PG and Ph.D. courses.
- Applicants need a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) similar to or higher than one of the following from their high school.
On a 100-point scale, one should score 80% or above, or one needs to rank within the top 20% of their class.
CGPA: 2.64/4.0 or 2.80/4.3 or 2.91/4.5, or 3.23/5.0.
- To study in Korea for the entire course duration, you must be in good physical and mental health.
Before applying for the Global Korea Scholarship 2022, you must carefully read the complete GKS guidelines and eligibility criteria.
Scholarship applications must be submitted by October 8, 2021 (Friday) by 17:00 hours at the following address.
Ms. Kang Yeon-soo
Second Secretary, Political Affairs Department
Embassy of the Republic of Korea
9, Chandragupta Marg, Chanakyapuri Extension,
They won’t receive the applications once the deadline is over.
For more information about this scholarship, please visit → website