Take your pick of French, Spanish, German, Russian, Japanese, Arabic, Persian, Mandarin, and other foreign language courses at Mumbai University for the academic term 2021-2022.
In this article, we’ll explore the different language programs offered by MU. Read along.
In the age of internationalization and an increasingly interconnected world, knowledge of a foreign language is a skill that’s in growing demand no matter where you live.
There are plenty of benefits associated with languages.
A career in foreign tongues, studying overseas, cultural appreciations, possible immigration, well-paying language jobs, and pursuing a hobby are primary motivations.
Not sure what language you should take?
Whether to pick between German, French, Spanish, or some challenging East Asian tongues like Mandarin, Korean, and Japanese, choose the one based on subjective and objective goals.
Table of Contents
- About Mumbai University
- MU Foreign Language Departments
- 1. Department of French
- 2. Department of German
- 3. Department of Russian
- 4. Department of Persian
- 5. Department of Arabic
- 6. Confucius Institute (Chinese Mandarin)
- Admission Process and Eligibility Criteria
- Other Colleges with Language Courses
About Mumbai University
Established on 18th July 1857, the University of Mumbai is the oldest in Maharashtra and one among India’s first three universities.
Currently, MU has five campuses (Fort campus (Main), Kalina, Ratnagiri, Thane, and Kalyan ).
MU is well-known for its language departments, which provide an excellent environment for language learning.
MU Foreign Language Departments
MU students can focus on Modern Languages at the Faculty of Arts through the center of Language, Linguistics, and Literature.
There are many departments dedicated to learning languages. They offer various courses from part-time certificate and diploma to degree level full-time bachelor’s, master’s degree, and doctorate programs in Mumbai and other parts of Maharashtra.
The University currently offers TEN popular foreign languages.
1. Department of French
The Department of French, founded in 1964, is one of the country’s prominent departments to specialize in French and Francophone literature.
Multidisciplinary study in foreign languages helps students integrate languages, history, research, and culture at Mumbai University.
The French courses at MU are specially designed to cater to students interested in specializing in the French language, history, tourism, art, business, translation and interpretation, culture, and contemporary French society.
The Department of French offers a wide variety of courses from the Beginners to the doctoral level.
Moreover, the students also gain from enriching contributions made by visiting professors and research scholars.
Due to the rising career scope of Spanish and the Italian language in India, the Mumbai University also offers several part-time Spanish and Italian Language courses.
If you want to learn Spanish in Mumbai at an affordable price, MU is a great choice.
A) Part-Time French, Spanish & Italian
- 6 Week Short-Term Intensive Certificate in French and Spanish.
- 1-year Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in French, Spanish, and Italian.
- Diploma and Advanced Diploma in French Translation.
B) Full-time Programs in French
- 5-Year integrated (BA and MA) in French.
- MA and Ph.D. in French.
2. Department of German
The University of Mumbai is the oldest center for German Studies in India.
The department of German focus is to impart quality education in the German language, literature, culture, translation, and intercultural studies.
It organizes seminars for teaching, research, intercultural activities, linguistics, translation, philosophy, and aesthetics.
There are numerous reasons to learn German in India. The department of German is the right place at Mumbai University for degree-level German language courses.
It also gains from constant academic interaction & exchange programs.
Meritious students can also pursue partial studies and research at several universities in Germany and Austria.
The Department of German conducts various short-term as well as full-fledged academic & research programs in German.
The rise of the Japanese language in India has experienced a boom in the early 21st century. To cater to the requirement, MU runs many part-time classes in Japanese and BA in Chinese.
A) Part-Time in German and Japanese
- 1-year Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in German and Japanese.
- Short-Term Intensive Basic Certificate and Diploma Course in German.
- Diploma in Commercial & Technical Translation & Tourism in German.
- Short-Term Certificate in German.
- Conversational Course in German for Beginners (Summer Course).
- Diploma in Business Japanese and Conversational Japanese.
B) Degree in German and Chinese
- BA, MA, MA (Hons.), and Ph.D. in German.
- BA in Chinese Studies.
3. Department of Russian
Due to the historical and functional relation between India and Russia and also as an essential language of science, research, diplomacy, and trade, the Russian language has always enjoyed considerable popularity with different sections of the society in Mumbai.
The Russian department offers a varied range of learning and teaching approaches, including events, lectures, seminars, and written and spoken Russian classes to students in Mumbai.
A) Part-Time Classes in Russian
- Three months Full-time (120 hours) Intensive course in basic Russian.
- 1-year part-time Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in Russian.
B) Degree Courses in Russian
- 5-year Integrated (BA and MA) in Russian.
- MA and Ph.D. in Russian.
4. Department of Persian
There are many benefits of learning Persian.
The Department of Persian at Mumbai University offers a variety of Persian courses.
Other than the Persian language, the Department of Persian also focuses on current affairs, literature, history, Iran’s culture, and other Persian-speaking countries.
It is one of the very few places in Mumbai to study the Persian language.
- 1-year Part-Time Certificate and Diploma in Persian.
- MA and Ph.D. Research in Persian language and literature.
5. Department of Arabic
Being one of the oldest departments of the University of Mumbai, the Department of Arabic imparts Arabic knowledge through various courses and events to students’ benefit.
They organize a national seminar on a theme concerning the Arabic language and literature. Luminaries of the Arabic language in India from different Universities participate and present their scholarly papers.
- Part-time Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in Arabic.
- Master and Ph.D. in Arabic.
6. Confucius Institute (Chinese Mandarin)
Learn Chinese the smart way at Confucius Institute, the University of Mumbai.
Affiliated with the Ministry of Education of China, it was established to promote the Chinese language in India. It also supports local Chinese teaching and facilitates cultural exchanges.
The Confucius Institute conducts various Mandarin classes at the Kalina campus of the MU throughout the year.
All the courses are designed as per the Chinese language proficiency tests, i.e., HSK Exam.
- Certificate I (HSK 1) (Duration – 48 hours)
- Certificate II (HSK 2) (Duration – 60 hours)
- Diploma I (HSK 3) (Duration – 80 hours)
- Diploma II (HSK 4) (Duration – 120 hours)
- Diploma III (HSK 5) (Duration – 170-180 hours)
Admission Process and Eligibility Criteria
Students need to check the eligibility criteria and minimum requirements before filling the application form for Mumbai University 2021-2022 and future Admission.
- For Certificate – 10th Passed. No prior knowledge of the corresponding language is required.
- For Diploma – 10th passed + Certificate in the corresponding language recognized by MU or having equivalent proficiency.
- For Advanced Diploma – 10th passed + Diploma in the corresponding language recognized by MU or having equivalent competence.
- For Diploma and Advanced Diploma in French Translation, Qualification: B2 and C1 of French proficiency test followed by an entrance exam.
- For BA 1st year courses (Candidates passed with 45% in HSC or any other equivalent XII Standard Exam (ICSE, CBSE, IB) recognized by the University of Mumbai.
Admission in the corresponding language shall be made on a merit basis, i.e., according to the qualifying exam’s percentage and performance in the entrance test (Personal Interview) conducted by the respective department.
- For BA 2nd year – 1st year BA + Passed A2 level or Diploma in the relevant language or having equivalent language ability + Passed the written and oral entrance test of the corresponding Department, University of Mumbai.
- For MA program – Minimum eligibility is a BA in language OR UG in any faculty + Passed Advanced Diploma or similar competence level in the similar tongue + Entrance Test.
- For Ph.D. Research Degree Course – One has to give an interview before the Head of Department after having cleared the Ph.D. Entrance Test (PET) conducted by the University twice a year.
Candidates who have passed the U.G.C. (NET) or M.Phil are exempted from appearing for PET and an entrance exam.
Registration for Ph.D. is open throughout the year. Ph.D. Coursework shall be applicable as per University policy.
Admission is purely on merit and is subject to the availability of seats as per the directions issued by the University of Mumbai and Maharashtra’s Government from time to time.
Other Colleges with Language Courses
Other than language courses at Mumbai University, many Junior or Senior Colleges affiliated with the MU offer short-term and Degree level Foreign language programs.
- Guru Nanak Khalsa College in Matunga offers French, Spanish, German, Japanese, and Chinese.
- KC College offers classes in Chinese and French.
- Sophia College for Women (Affiliated to the University of Mumbai) offers a 3-year full-time bachelor’s (Hons.) in the French thought department of French.
- Ruia Foreign Language Centre – The college offers a German, Spanish, French, and Japanese certificate program. (120 hours for all classes) and Certificate course in Chinese (60 Hours).
- St. Xavier’s College – St Xavier’s College, affiliated with the University of Mumbai, achieved an autonomous status. Currently, the Department of French offers French courses in Mumbai.
- Amity University, Mumbai – Amity University, a private University and part of the Amity Education Group, offers a 3-year full-time BA (Hons.) in French, Spanish, and German.
- There are few more Colleges affiliated with MU, such as Mithibai College of Arts, Vidya Prasarak Mandal, etc., offering various certificate courses in Foreign language.
I hope this list ends up in your pursuit of learning a foreign language at Mumbai University.
You can contact these departments at MU for further information.
While you’re on a self-improvement kick, why not try other language programs in the region like (i) Spanish institutes in Mumbai, (ii) Mandarin classes in Mumbai, (iii) Language courses in Pune. If you need any help, let me know in the comment section!