Are you looking for Foreign language courses in BHU, the admission process for 2021-2022, the entrance exam, and dates? This guide will provide all the information.
Learning a foreign language is exciting and opens your world to incredible new possibilities.
The communication abilities acquired during foreign language programs are highly sought after by many companies. They can be helpful across various industries.
Language skill is an excellent requisite for a career demanding languages.
Table of Contents
- About BHU
- Language courses in BHU – Faculty of Arts
- Admission Procedures and Eligibility
- Full-Time Degree Programs 2021
- Part-time Courses 2021-2022
Founded in 1916 by Madan Mohan Malaviya, Banaras Hindu University (BHU), located in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, is one of the oldest and most prestigious Central Universities in India.
It is the largest residential university in Asia, with over 12,000 students living on two campuses.
Due to the rising importance of foreign languages in India, BHU established several courses long back. BHU conducts many outstanding programs for students looking to learn a language.
Language courses in BHU – Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts is the oldest division of the university.
The university imparts teaching in many foreign language courses in BHU at various levels under the departments of Foreign Languages, French, German, Arabic, and Persian studies.
The center produces some outstanding teachers, interpreters, and translators. Many of India’s best-known language experts have their roots in the Faculty of Fine Arts.
Due to the overwhelming popularity and demand for foreign language courses in the market, BHU caters to the needs of thousands of students looking to make a career involving languages.
BHU will be ranked among the top 10 Universities in India in the field of language learning.
1. Department of Foreign Languages
The Department of Foreign Languages offers many courses ranging from part-time certificate and diploma to full-time degree BA, MA, and Ph.D.
The department has the distinction of conducting teaching programs in seven major Asian and European languages, namely, Chinese, Japanese, Sinhalese, Russian, Italian, Spanish, and Polish.
They have recently introduced Bachelor in Japanese and planning to add a few Southeast Asian languages following the recent push of our government towards “Look East Policy.”
Currently, the courses offered are:-
- BA (Hons.), MA, and Ph.D. in Chinese and Russian.
- 2-year part-time Diploma in Chinese, Korean, Russian, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Sinhalese, and Polish.
2. Department of German Studies
The Department of German Studies of the Arts faculty teaches German full-time and part-time courses covering language, history, literature, and linguistics.
It is the only department in UP, Bihar, Jharkhand, Orissa, Eastern, and North-East India to study German from Beginners’ level to doctorate research.
The department maintains an incredible level of co-operation with institutions from German-speaking countries. Plus, many prominent scholars from Germany, Austria & Switzerland regularly visit BHU.
The department runs a 2-year part-time diploma and full-time BA (Hons), MA, and Ph.D. in German.
Looking for other universities? Read → (i) Delhi University (ii) JNU (iii) IGNOU (iv) EFLU (v) Pune University (vi) JMI (vii) Mumbai University (viii) Doon University (ix) Kolkata University (x) Visva Bharati.
3. Department of French Studies
Learn French the smart way with French courses at the Department of French Studies, BHU.
The French center courses are designed to help students learn French language skills and be actively involved in research in comparative literature and translation education.
The department offers a 2-year part-time Diploma and a full-time BA, MA, and Ph.D. in French.
4. Department of Arabic Studies
Since 1917, the Department of Arabic studies is offering research in Arabic literature (modern and classical) and Arab history and culture, and other allied subjects.
The center offers degree-level undergraduate and postgraduate courses like BA, MA, and Ph.D. in Arabic.
It also conducts a 1-year Part-Time certificate, 2-year diploma, and two-year PG diploma course in Arabic.
5. Department of Persian Studies
BHU founded the Department of Persian studies in 1922.
If you’re interested in studying Persian, you can consider the Department of Persian studies at BHU.
You will learn Persian, and you will delve into the history, culture, poetry, customs, and life of Iranian people.
The center conducts BA, MA, and Ph.D. in Persian. You can also enroll for a 1-year part-time certificate, 2-year Diploma, and a 2-year PG diploma.
Admission Procedures and Eligibility
UG, PG, and Ph.D. Entrance Test (UET/PET/RET) 2021-2022
For admission in BA (Hons.) in Arabic, Persian, Chinese, German, French, and Russian, you need to be 12th passed or appeared with a minimum of 50% marks in the aggregate.
For admission in MA in Arabic, French, German, Persian, Russian, and Chinese, the minimum eligibility criteria is BA with PG Diploma/Advanced Diploma in the same language.
You need to secure a minimum of 50% marks in the aggregate at BA and Diploma levels.
For admission in Ph.D. (Doctoral) program in Arabic, French, German, Persian, Russian, and Chinese, candidates need a Master’s degree in languages or any one of the allied subjects.
Plus, at least 55% in the aggregate or equivalent grade point average in the qualifying test.
Research Entrance Test (RET) is a paper-pen-based research entrance test directed for Ph.D.
RET consists of 3 stages, and Ph.D. aspirants need to clear each step of this exam to be considered for Ph.D. admission.
For Admission in Part-time Certificate and Diploma Language Courses, ONLY regular students of the main BHU campus currently enrolled in an ongoing full-time course can apply.
Besides, final year students cannot apply for Diploma Course, and PG DIPLOMA Courses are open to all.
The Affiliated Colleges and Rajiv Gandhi South Campus, Barkachha, Mirzapur are not eligible for these short-term courses.
BHU conducts entrance tests for Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs, called “UET” and “PET,” respectively.
Admissions is made as per merit in the UET / PET, subject to the fulfillment of eligibility requirements and the availability of seats in the particular course.
Every year in February, one can apply online by completing the online application form. They issue admit cards one week before the exam.
All India entrance examination is conducted in April-May. The result is announced mostly in the 1st-2nd week of June.
Check the BHU website for entrance exam dates, application forms, admit cards, exam centers, question patterns, results, counseling process, and cut-off.
Full-Time Degree Programs 2021
- Start of Online Application Process – Yet to be published.
- Closing of Online Application Process – Yet to be published.
- BHU Entrance Exam Date (UET/PET) – Yet to be Published.
- Admission and Registration for selected candidates – Yet to be Published.
- Courses (UG)— BA in Arabic, Chinese, French, Japanese, German, Persian, and Russian.
- Courses (PG) — MA in Arabic, Persian, French, and German.
PET-2021 is a Computer Based Test (CBT), whereas UET-2021 will be conducted both in the pen-paper (OMR-based) and Computer Based Test (CBT) modes.
Test in both the forms would be carried on the same date and time with the identical question paper.
Part-time Courses 2021-2022
- Last Date of Applying Online — September 2021 (Tentative)
- Last Date of Submission of Print Copy (with enclosures) — September 2021 (Tentative)
- Last Date of Admission and issue of Admit Card — September 2021 (Tentative)
- Apply Online at — bhuonline.in
- Prospectus — LINK (2021 e-prospectus is yet to be published)
Courses Offered at BHU
- (A) 1-year part-time Certificate courses in Arabic and Persian.
- (B) 2-year part-time Diploma courses in Arabic, French, Spanish, German, Persian, Russian, Korean, and Chinese.
- (C) One year Bridge Course in French — Eligibility is Graduation in any discipline + 2 years Diploma in French.
- Full-time PG Diploma in Arabic and Persian — Basic Knowledge of Arabic. The applicant should NOT be enrolled in any full-time course of the University/elsewhere.
A student can apply for ONLY ONE course, i.e., a certificate or diploma in any language.
- Address: The HoD Foreign Languages – Faculty of Arts, BHU, Varanasi – 221005
- Phone: 0542 – 230 7417, 670 2278, 08574587668
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: LINK