Take your pick of foreign language courses at Delhi University. You can choose between a cluster of part-time Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma and full-time degree level courses either at the university level or from several Colleges running their own programs in DU.
Over the last decade or so, we have witnessed an enormous surge in demand for foreign language professionals. Learning is not only great for your hobby or travelling but can also broaden foreign language job prospects, business opportunities, and career in foreign languages.
Established in 1922, Delhi University is the premier university consistently ranked as one of the best universities in the country. With high-quality education and eminent faculty, the University of Delhi is a leader in foreign language education and research and boasts some of the most prestigious departments of foreign languages and affiliated colleges in India.
Table of Contents
- Types of Foreign Language Courses in DU
- Which Language Should I choose in DU?
- A) List of DU colleges offering Language Programs
- B) Language Courses in Delhi University (Arts Faculty)
- Admission Procedure, Eligibility Criteria, Entrance, and Dates
- Delhi University Admission 2019 – 2020
Types of Foreign Language Courses in DU
When it comes to foreign language courses at the University of Delhi, students have two options. (i) Part-time courses (Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma) or (ii) Full-time Degree level courses (BA, MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D.).
There are 24 DU Colleges such as Hindu, Gargi, Hansraj, St. Stephen’s, Daulat Ram, Zakir Husain, Jesus & Mary, Ramjas, Lady Shri Ram to name a few, with a varied range of foreign language courses in Delhi University. You can find the entire list with all the details in this article.
For part-time courses, you have to contact the respective Colleges. Every college has a different admission procedure and dates. Admission is made mostly through cut-off marks. There is also a possibility of direct entry if the number of applicants is less than the total number of seats.
For Full-Time courses, The Arts Faculty through various departments offers PG Diploma / Advanced Diploma, Bachelor of Arts (BA), Master of Arts (MA), M.Phil, and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees in many languages. Zakir Husain and Jesus & Mary also run the UG degree course. Admission is based on the entrance exam, and in some cases, especially UG programs are made through a merit list.
While Arts faculty also conducts part-time classes in Portuguese, Arabic, Persian, and even some not so popular language courses in Bulgarian, Romanian, Swahili, Polish, Tibetan, etc. These language courses are not available in any Colleges affiliated to DU. Arts faculty does not offer part-time courses in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean.
Which Language Should I choose in DU?
There are many factors you should consider while choosing a foreign language to learn in DU: difficulty level, personal preference, interest, target country or region, sectors or industries, future goals, and possible immigration, etc. French, Spanish, German, Chinese, and Japanese remain on top of the category wish list of most of the students interested in pursuing foreign language courses at Delhi University. However, in recent years – Demand for Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Korean, and Arabic are also on the rise for a variety of reasons.
A) List of DU colleges offering Language Programs
These are the Colleges affiliated to the University of Delhi, which you can go to pursue the foreign Language courses in Delhi. Choose the one that suits you the best.
(i) North Campus Colleges
- St. Stephen’s College, University Enclave – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French, Spanish, German, Chinese, and Japanese. Certificate and Diploma in Arabic, and Certificate in Persian.
- Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce, Pitampura – Certificate in French, German, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.
- Satyawati College, Ashok Vihar – Certificate & Diploma in French and German.
- Daulat Ram College *, Maurice Nagar – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French, Spanish, Italian, German, Chinese, Korean and Japanese.
- HansRaj College, Malka Ganj – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French and German.
- Ramjas College, Maurice Nagar, Delhi University – Certificate in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Korean, Japanese & Chinese, Diploma in French, Japanese & Chinese and Advanced Diploma in French.
- Keshav Mahavidyalaya, Pitampura, Near Sainik Vihar – Certificate in French and German.
- Mata Sundri College *, Mata Sundri Lane – Certificate in French, Spanish and German.
- Miranda House *, Patel Chest Marg – Certificate in French, Spanish and German.
- SGTB Khalsa College, Mall Road – Certificate in French, Spanish, Russian, German, Korean, Chinese & Japanese and Diploma in Spanish & German.
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, Karampura – Certificate in Russian.
- Hindu College, University of Delhi – Certificate in French, German, Spanish, and Russian.
- Zakir Husain College, Jawaharlal Nehru Marg – Certificate in Russian.
- LakshmiBai College *, Ashok Vihar – Certificate in Chinese and Japanese.
- Kalindi College *, East Patel Nagar – Certificate in Chinese.
(ii) South Campus Colleges
- Jesus & Mary College *, Chanakyapuri – Certificate in French.
- College of Vocational Studies, Sheikh Sarai Ph-II – Certificate and Diploma in French and German.
- Delhi College of Arts and Commerce, Netaji Nagar – Certificate in French, German & Spanish and Diploma in Spanish & German.
- Acharya Narendra Dev College, Govindpuri, Kalkaji – Certificate in Russian, Certificate & Diploma in French, Spanish and German & Advanced Diploma in Spanish.
- Kamla Nehru College *, August- Kranti Marg – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French
- Bharti College *, Janakpuri – Certificate in Russian, French, Chinese & German and Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French & German.
- Sri Venkateswara College, Dhaula Kuan – Certificate in German and Chinese.
- Gargi College *, Siri Road fort – Certificate in German.
- Lady Shri Ram College *, Lajpat Nagar 4 – Certificate in Russian.
* Women’s Colleges of DU.
The Certificate level requires candidates to have passed 10+2. For Diploma and advanced diploma level, you need certification and Diploma respectively in the identical language. You can enroll based on merit or entrance test.
(iii) Arabic & Persian at Zakir Husain College
Affiliated to University of Delhi since 1925, Zakir Husain Delhi College holds the distinction of being in existence well before the establishment of Delhi University. It carries within itself nearly a history of 300 years as an institute of learning and one of the best places to learn Arabic in India.
The Department of Persian offers BA and MA in the Persian Language. For 2019, the total number of seats is 19 for BA (Hons.) in Arabic and Persian. The Arabic department, with its dedicated, competent, and committed teachers and student-centered teaching methodology, offers Bachelor’s and Master’s program focusing on the study of Arabic language and literature.
(iv) Spanish at Jesus & Mary College
Over the last four decades, Jesus & Mary College has expanded and reached out to thousands of young women who have graduated from the College. The college also has a dedicated placement cell since 1998. An in-depth study of the Spanish language not only allows for better communication. But it also helps to develop an understanding of Hispanic cultures and their rich artistic and literary histories.
Why Learn Spanish? There are plenty of benefits of learning Spanish. One main attraction is job opportunities after learning Spanish. J&M College, through the Spanish department, offers BA (Hons.) in Spanish. The total number of seats is 18 for the BA course. Admission is made through written exam and merit list.
B) Language Courses in Delhi University (Arts Faculty)
Delhi University’s Faculty of Arts has many departments functioning under it. These are Department of Arabic, Department of Buddhist Studies, Department of Germanic and Romance Studies, Department of Persian, Department of East Asian Studies, and Department of Slavonic & Finno-Ugrian studies.
1. Department of Germanic and Romance Studies
Established in 1948, The Department of Germanic and Romance studies is well known as one of the best places to pursue foreign language courses at Delhi University. All European philology programs offer an interdisciplinary curriculum, with a focus on history, literature, language, and culture.
Every year, a large number of students of the Department avail of scholarships to study or do research at universities in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Mexico, Romania, Austria, etc. The GRS department also has cooperation agreements with several universities abroad for exchange programs & study trips for students and research scholars. The Department offers the following courses:
- 3-year BA (Hons.) in French, German, Italian, and Spanish
- MA in French, German, Hispanic (Spanish) and Italian Studies
- MPhil & Ph.D. Programme in French, German, Hispanic (Spanish) and Italian Studies
- Intensive one year Full-time Advanced Diploma in Portuguese
- Part-time: Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in Portuguese & Romanian
For 2019 admission, For BA (Hons.) in French, Spanish, German, Italian, a total number of seats are 41 for each course. For MA in French, Hispanic (Spanish), Italian, and German, the total number of seats is 23 for each tongue.
The department also offers French, Spanish, and German as Discipline Courses-II in few colleges. (i) Jesus & Mary College – French and Spanish, (ii) Delhi College of Arts and Commerce – German and Spanish, (iii) Gargi College – German, (iv) Vivekanand College – French and (v) Ramanujan College – French.
Read — French Course in Delhi | Spanish Courses in Delhi | German Course in Delhi | Italian Course in Delhi | Learn Portuguese in Delhi | French Proficiency Test | German Proficiency Exam | Spanish Proficiency Test
2. Department of Slavonic & Finno-Ugrian Studies
DU’s Department of Slavonic and Finno-Ugrian Studies is the only place in India where one can learn Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Polish, and Hungarian from the Finno-Ugrian group. All programs offer an interdisciplinary curriculum, with an emphasis on literature, language, and culture, and to acquaint students with the diverse and vibrant civilizations of the crucial areas of East-Central Europe and Russia.
The Department of Slavonic & Finno-Ugrian Studies (SFUS) provides an excellent environment to pursue language and literature study to some of the greatest literary works and scholarly writings produced in East-Central Europe and Russia.
The department offers a 1-year part-time Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in Russian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Polish, and Hungarian language courses in Delhi. Additionally, you can also enroll for a one-year Regular Intensive Advanced Diploma in Bulgarian if you’ve got a keen interest in the culture and history of Bulgaria.
Thanks to the historical reasons to Learn Russian in India, Dept. is well-known for Russian Language Course at Delhi University. They also offer One Year Full-Time Intensive Advanced Diploma, MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in Russian. For MA in Russian studies, the total number of seats is 30 for 2019-2021. Those who are doing an MA in Russian can also choose Polish as a complementary subject.
3. Department of Arabic
The Department of Arabic is one of the oldest departments in the University offering dating back to 1922, the year of the inception of DU. The Department of Arabic – Arts Faculty offers a 1-year Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in Modern Arabic.
The center also offers BA, MA, MPhil, and Doctorate programs in Arabic. For a Master’s degree in Arabic, the total number of seats is 46 for the academic year 2019-2021. After Arabic Language courses in JNU, DU is the second-best choice for an Arabic Language course in Delhi.
4. Department of Persian
Started in 1957, The Department of Persian is one of the oldest departments of the University of Delhi in the field of language learning. The Department of Persian – Arts Faculty offers a 1-year Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in Persian. If you’re interested in learning Persian in India, then you can pursue BA, MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in Persian. For MA in a Persian course in Delhi campus, the total number of seats is 30 for the academic year 2019-2021. After Persian Language courses in Jamia Millia Islamia, DU is another excellent choice in North India.
5. Department of East Asian Studies
The Department of East Asian Studies introduced Chinese Studies in 1964, Japanese in 1969, and Korean in 2001. The Department of East Asian studies – Arts Faculty offers One Year Full-time Post Graduate Intensive Diploma Course in Chinese (CF-1), Korean (KF-1) & Japanese (JF-1) and One Year Full-time Post Graduate Intensive Advanced Diploma Course in Chinese (CF-2), Korean (KF-2) & Japanese (JF-2).
It also offers an MA in Japanese (MA-JL) and MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in East Asian studies. All students have to choose one between Chinese, Korean, and Japanese while pursuing MA / M.Phil /Ph.D. in East Asian studies. The total number of seats is 39 for East Asian Studies and 16 for MA in Japanese, respectively. For Ph.D., seats are decided every year. The admission procedure for PG courses consists of a written test and an interview.
6. Department of Buddhist Studies
The Department of Buddhist Studies was established in 1957 as follows up to the action initiated by the Government of India on the occasion of the celebration of 2500 years of Buddhism on 24 May 1956. The DBS department offers a one-year part-time Certificate and a one-year part-time Diploma in Pali and Tibetan language and literature.
Department also offers MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in Buddhist studies. It has the vision to prepare Buddhologists who would excel in knowledge, orientation, and application of Buddhist thought of peace and non-violence with high ethical standards and social relevance. Language is also part of Buddhist studies. After Tibetan and Pali Language courses in BHU, DU is one of the excellent choices for the Tibetan Language course in Delhi.
7. Department of African Studies
The Department of African Studies is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences of the University of Delhi. It was established in December 1954. The Department of African Studies – Arts Faculty offers a 1-year Certificate and 1-year Diploma in the Swahili Language. Those who are doing M.Phil and Ph.D. in African studies have to choose the Swahili Language as a compulsory subject.
Admission Procedure, Eligibility Criteria, Entrance, and Dates
(i) For Admission in Under Graduate (BA Program)
10+2 is compulsory. For a few courses, admission is made based on an entrance exam, while for some, it is by merit list/cut-off.
If you want to pursue a part-time course in foreign languages, then you should directly contact the College concerned. Admission is usually through a merit list. The existing students of the College get the preference. Prior knowledge is not a prerequisite for Certificates. However, for Diploma and Advanced Diploma, Certificate and Diploma in the same language is obligatory.
(ii) For PG Diplomas in Chinese / Japanese / Korean
For PG Intensive Diploma, i.e., CF-1 (Chinese), JF-1 (Japanese), and KF-1 (Korean), Bachelor’s Degree is required, followed by the Common Entrance Test (SLAT) of the Department of East Asian Studies. For PG Intensive Advanced Diploma (CF-2, JF-2 and KF-2), Bachelor’s Degree + Diploma in the corresponding tongue (KP-1) / (JP-1) / (CK-1). The final admission is based on the entrance test.
(iii) For MA courses
Minimum Eligibility is BA in any stream with good knowledge in the same language. The admission is based on a written exam and then viva-voce in some cases too. The question paper will be in the similar language.
(iv) For Research courses, M.Phil
The candidate should have an outstanding academic record and a Master’s Degree with 55% marks. All the eligible candidates sit for the entrance test as per the dates announced by the Department. Weightage is 75 marks for written test and 25 marks for Interview. Good Knowledge in the same language is required.
(v) For Research courses, Ph.D.
The admission in DU will be granted based on an entrance examination (75 marks for written test and 25 marks for Interview). Minimum Eligibility is M.Phil or MA with an excellent academic from the University of Delhi or any recognized University. Good Knowledge in the same language is mandatory.
Delhi University Admission 2019 – 2020
Delhi University language course registrations have started from May 30, 2019. Since the application forms for all courses will be entirely online, the applicants have to visit the DU website. For part-time language courses in DU, the admission procedure starts typically from mid of June to July in many colleges. For more information, check the website of the College concerned or visit the College.
- Online Registration Begins From — 30th May (UG), 03rd June (PG, M.Phil, and Ph.D.).
- Closing of Online Application Form — 2nd week of June.
- Cut-off List — 2nd to 4th Week of June (UG).
- Entrance Test for PG courses or wherever applicable — 3rd Week of June 2019.
- Courses Offered (UG) — BA in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Arabic, and Persian.
- Admission in BA for the languages mentioned above will be made on merit-based.
- Admission — 4th week of June 2019.
- E-prospectus for Undergraduate (UG) courses — LINK
- Apply Online — LINK (UG)
- Admission Helpdesk — 011 – 2700 6900, 2766 7092, 2411 6178.