Take your pick of foreign language courses in Delhi University.
You can choose between a cluster of part-time Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma, and full-time degree courses at the university level or from several colleges running their own programs in DU.
Over the last decade, we have witnessed an immense surge in the requirement of foreign language professionals.
Established in 1922, the University of Delhi is the premier university consistently ranked as one of the best universities in the country.
With high-quality teaching and eminent faculty, DU is a leader in foreign language education and research.
It boasts some of the most prestigious foreign language departments and affiliated colleges in India.
Table of Contents
- Types of Foreign Language Courses in DU
- Which Language Should I choose in DU?
- A) List of DU colleges offering Language Programs
- B) Language Courses in Delhi University (Arts Faculty)
- Admission Procedure and Eligibility Criteria
- Delhi University Admission 2020-2021
Types of Foreign Language Courses in DU
When it comes to foreign language courses at the University of Delhi, students have two options.
- Part-time courses (Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma).
- Full-time degree programs (BA, MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D.).
There are roughly 24 DU colleges like Hindu, Hansraj, St. Stephen’s, Daulat Ram, JMC, Gargi, LSR, Ramjas, and man more, with varied foreign language courses in Delhi University.
You can find the entire list with all the details in this article.
For part-time courses, you have to contact the relevant colleges.
Every college has a different admission procedure and dates. Admission is made once a year mostly through cut-off marks.
There is also a possibility of direct entry if the number of applicants is less than the total seats.
For Full-Time courses, the Arts Faculty through various departments offers PG Diploma, PG Advanced Diploma, and BA, MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in different languages.
Zakir Husain and Jesus & Mary also run the UG degree programs.
Admission is entrance-based, and in some cases, especially UG programs are made through a merit list.
These courses are not available in any Colleges affiliated to DU. Arts faculty does not offer part-time courses in some of the famous European and Far East languages.
Which Language Should I choose in DU?
You should consider many factors while choosing a foreign language to learn in DU.
It ranges from difficulty level and personal preference to your existing skills and career goals.
If you’re still perplexed, you can read → How to choose a language to study?
French, Spanish, German, Chinese, and Japanese remain on top of the category wish list of most students interested in pursuing foreign language courses in Delhi University.
In recent years, the demand for Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Korean, and Arabic are also on the rise for a variety of reasons.
A) List of DU colleges offering Language Programs
These are the DU colleges, where you can enroll for various language courses in Delhi.
Pick the one that suits you the best.
(i) North Campus Colleges
- St. Stephen’s College, University Enclave – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French, Spanish, German, Chinese, and Japanese. Certificate and Diploma in Arabic, and Certificate in Persian.
- Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce, Pitampura – Certificate in French, German, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.
- Satyawati College, Ashok Vihar – Certificate & Diploma in French and German.
- Daulat Ram College *, Maurice Nagar – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French, Spanish, Italian, German, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.
- Hansraj College, Malka Ganj – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French and German.
- Ramjas College, Maurice Nagar, Delhi University – Certificate in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Korean, Japanese & Chinese, Diploma in French, Japanese, Korean & Chinese, and Advanced Diploma in French.
- Keshav Mahavidyalaya, Pitampura, Near Sainik Vihar – Certificate in French and German.
- Mata Sundri College *, Mata Sundri Lane – Certificate in French, Spanish, and German.
- Miranda House *, Patel Chest Marg – Certificate in French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and German.
- SGTB Khalsa College, Mall Road – Certificate in French, Spanish, Russian, German, Korean, Chinese & Japanese, and Diploma in Spanish & German.
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, Karampura – Certificate in Russian.
- Hindu College, University of Delhi – Certificate in French, German, Spanish, and Russian.
- Zakir Husain College, Jawaharlal Nehru Marg – Certificate in Russian.
- LakshmiBai College *, Ashok Vihar – Certificate in Chinese and Japanese.
- Kalindi College *, East Patel Nagar – Certificate in Chinese.
- Shyam Lal College, Shahdara – Certificate, and Diploma in German, Spanish, French, Korean, Chinese and Japanese, and Advanced Diploma in French.
(ii) South Campus Colleges
- Jesus & Mary College *, Chanakyapuri – Certificate in French and Spanish.
- College of Vocational Studies, Sheikh Sarai Ph-II – Certificate, and Diploma in French and German.
- Delhi College of Arts and Commerce, Netaji Nagar – Certificate in French, German & Spanish, and Diploma in Spanish & German.
- Acharya Narendra Dev College, Govindpuri, Kalkaji – Certificate in Russian, Certificate & Diploma in French, Spanish, and German & Advanced Diploma in Spanish.
- Kamla Nehru College *, August- Kranti Marg – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French
- Bharti College *, Janakpuri – Certificate in Russian, French, Chinese & German and Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French & German.
- Sri Venkateswara College, Dhaula Kuan – Certificate in German and Chinese.
- Gargi College *, Siri Road fort – Certificate in German.
- Lady Shri Ram College *, Lajpat Nagar 4 – Certificate in Russian.
- Ram Lal Anand College, South Moti Bagh – Certificate in Chinese and Japanese.
* Women’s Colleges of DU.
The certificate level requires candidates to have passed 10+2. For Diploma and advanced diploma level, you need certification and Diploma respectively in the identical language. You can enroll based on merit or entrance test.
(iii) Arabic & Persian at Zakir Husain College
Affiliated to DU since 1925, Zakir Husain Delhi College holds the distinction of being in existence well before the establishment of Delhi University.
It carries within itself nearly a history of 300 years as an institute of learning and one of the best places to learn Arabic in India.
For 2020-21, the total seats are 19 for BA (Hons.) in Arabic and Persian.
The Arabic department, with distinguished teachers and student-centered teaching methods, offers a BA and MA program focusing on Arabic and Persian language and literature.
- Part-Time: Certificate in Russian.
- Full-Time: BA (Program) in Arabic and Persian.
- Full-Time: BA (Hons) in Arabic and Persian.
- Full-Time: MA in Arabic and Persian.
(iv) Spanish at Jesus & Mary College
An in-depth study of Spanish not only allows for better communication, but also help you dive further into astonishing Hispanic culture and their rich artistic, musical, and literary histories.
If you’re interested in learning Spanish in Delhi, you can consider Jesus & Mary College.
JMC is offering well-designed programs in the various stream over the past five decades and has a dedicated placement cell since 1998.
The women-only college, through the Spanish department, offers a BA in Spanish. Total seats are 18, and admission is through written exam and merit list.
- Part-Time: Certificate in French and Spanish.
- Full-Time: Bachelor in Spanish.
B) Language Courses in Delhi University (Arts Faculty)
Delhi University’s Faculty of Arts has many departments functioning under it.
These are the department of Arabic, Buddhist Studies, Germanic and Romance Studies, East Asian Studies, Persian, and Slavonic & Finno-Ugrian studies.
1. Department of Germanic and Romance Studies
The Department of Germanic and Romance Studies, established in 1948, is a well known place to attend foreign language classes at Delhi University.
All European philology programs offer an interdisciplinary curriculum, with a focus on history, literature, language, and culture.
Every year, many students of the GRS department avail scholarships to study or research in leading universities in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Mexico, Romania, Austria, etc.
The GRS department has cooperation agreements with several universities abroad for exchange programs and study trips for students and research scholars.
The Department offers the following courses:
- 3-year BA (Hons.) in French, German, Italian, and Spanish
- MA in French, German, Hispanic (Spanish) and Italian Studies
- MPhil & Ph.D. Programme in French, German, Hispanic (Spanish) and Italian Studies
- Intensive one year Full-time Advanced Diploma in Portuguese
- Part-time: Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in Portuguese & Romanian
For academic session 2020-2021, there are 41 for each course in BA in Italian, French, Spanish, and German. For MA in these European languages, there are 23 seats each.
It offers French, Spanish, and German as Discipline Courses-II in few colleges.
- Jesus & Mary College – French and Spanish.
- Delhi College of Arts and Commerce – German and Spanish.
- Gargi College – German.
- Vivekanand College – French.
- Ramanujan College – French.
2. Department of Slavonic & Finno-Ugrian Studies
Department of Slavonic and Finno-Ugrian Studies at DU is the only place in India where one can learn Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Polish, and Hungarian from the Finno-Ugrian group.
All programs combine the various aspect of the subject and also acquaints students with the diverse and vibrant civilizations of East-Central Europe and Russia.
SFUS provides an excellent environment to pursue language and literature study to some of the greatest literary works and scholarly writings produced in East-Central Europe and Russia.
You can take an intensive Advanced Diploma in Bulgarian if you’ve got a keen interest in the culture and history of Bulgaria.
For MA in Russian, the total seats is 30 for 2020-2021. You can also pick Polish as an extra subject if you’re doing Masters in Russian.
- Part-Time: Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Polish, Russian, and Hungarian.
- 1-year Full-Time Intensive Advanced Diploma in Russian.
- 1-year Regular Intensive Advanced Diploma in Bulgarian.
- MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in Russian.
3. Department of Arabic
The Department of Arabic is as old as the University itself, having come into existence in 1922.
The Arabic language at DU introduces many facets of the middle-east and Arab world through the multidisciplinary study of arts, anthropology, culture, geography, history, poetry, politics, religion, and societies.
For a MA degree in Arabic, it offers 46 seats in total for the academic year 2020-2021.
- Part-Time: Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in Modern Arabic.
- Full-Time: BA, MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in Arabic.
4. Department of Persian
The department of Persian was established in 1955 to provide facilities for in-depth studies and research in the Persian language and literature, with special emphasis on history and literature produced in India and Iran.
Do you want to learn Persian in India to dive further into the mesmerizing poetry of Rumi, Hafiz, Ferdowsi, Saadi, Nizami, and Khayyam?
In the 2020-2021 academic year, the total seats for MA is 30. It offers:
- Part-Time: Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in Persian.
- Full-Time: BA, MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in Persian.
5. Department of East Asian Studies
The EAS Department offers a comprehensive postgraduate program focusing on China, Japan, and Korea.
The program combines Eastern languages with the multidimensional study of culture, history, traditions, geopolitics, and social practices.
If you enrolling in one of the PG programs in East Asian studies, you have to pick one between Mandarin, Japanese, and Korean.
For Masters in EAS, it offers 39 seats in total, whereas, 16 for MA in Japanese. The Ph.D. seats, the university decides every year.
The admission method for PG programs comprises a written test followed by an interview.
Department of EAS offers:
- PG Intensive Diploma in Chinese (CF-1), Korean (KF-1) & Japanese (JF-1).
- PG Intensive Advanced Diploma in Chinese (CF-2), Korean (KF-2) & Japanese (JF-2).
- MA in Japanese (MA-JL)
- MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in East Asian studies.
6. Department of Buddhist Studies
The department of Buddhist Studies has a long history at the University of Delhi, focusing on Indian and Tibetan Buddhist traditions.
The department began operating in 1957 after the celebration of 2500 years of Buddhism in 1956.
The courses focus on the research of canonical and post-canonical Pali and Tibetan languages and literature of the Buddhist tradition.
The department’s primary focus is to prepare Buddhologists who would excel in knowledge, familiarization, and application of Buddhist philosophy of peace and non-violence approach with high ethical norms and social importance.
Other than BHU’s Faculty of Arts, DU is yet another excellent choice. Currently, it offers:
- Part-Time: 1-year Certificate and 1-year Diploma in Pali.
- Part-Time: 1-year Certificate and 1-year Diploma in Tibetan.
- MA, Master of Philosophy, and Ph.d. doctorate in Buddhist Studies.
7. Department of African Studies
The Department of African Studies is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences of the University of Delhi. It started in December 1954.
Those who are doing M.Phil and Ph.D. in African studies have to choose the Swahili language as a mandatory subject.
- Part-Time: 1-year Certificate and 1-year Diploma in Swahili.
Admission Procedure and Eligibility Criteria
|BA||12th Passed||Merit-List / Cut-off Marks|
|PG Diploma||Graduation||Entrance (SLAT)|
|PG Advanced Diploma||Graduation + PG Diploma||Direct for PG Diploma in CJK.|
|MA||Graduation||Entrance (Written + viva-voce)|
|M.Phil.||Master Degree||Entrance (Written + viva-voce)|
|Ph.D.||Master / M.Phil.||Entrance (Written + viva-voce)|
Required Language Skills for Degree Programs
There are different types of requirement depending on the course you’re seeking.
1. Bachelor (BA)
10+2 is compulsory for a bachelor in foreign languages, and you don’t need any previous language skills for BA programs.
2. Masters (MA)
For MA in foreign languages, you need good knowledge in the same language to crack the entrance test.
The question paper for the Master’s degree will be in the language you’re applying to.
3. M.Phil. and Ph.D. doctorate
For M.Phil. and Ph.D., a candidate should have an outstanding academic record and a Master’s Degree with 55% marks.
All the eligible applicants sit for the entrance test. The weightage is 75 marks for written test and 25 marks for Interview. You need to have an excellent command of the same language.
Part-time Language Courses in DU
If you want to seek admission in a part-time course, you should contact the college conducting those programs.
Admission is usually through marks obtained in the 12th class, but sometimes, colleges also organize entrance.
In most cases, the existing students of the college get the preference.
10+2 is compulsory, and prior knowledge is not a prerequisite for certificate.
For Diploma and Advanced Diploma, you need certificate and diploma in the same language.
PG Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean
For PG Intensive Diploma, i.e., CF-1 (Chinese), JF-1 (Japanese), and KF-1 (Korean), a BA degree is required, followed by the Common Entrance Test (SLAT) of the Department of EAS.
For PG Intensive Advanced Diploma (CF-2, JF-2, and KF-2), Graduation + Diploma in the same tongue (KP-1, JP-1, or CK-1).
Delhi University Admission 2020-2021
Delhi University language course registrations start on 20th June 2020. The admission process is entirely online.
The applicants have to visit the DU website.
For part-time language courses in DU, the admission procedure might start from the end of June to July in many colleges.
For more information, check the website of the College concerned or visit the College.
- Online Registration Begins From — 20th June 2020
- Closing of Online Application Form — 04th July 2020
- Cut-off List — Yet to be announced. (July to August 2020)
- Update Date for 12 Class mark sheet — Yet to be announced.
- Entrance Test for PG courses or wherever applicable — Yet to be announced.
- Courses Offered (UG) — BA in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Arabic, and Persian.
- Admission in BA for the languages mentioned above will be made on merit-based.
- Apply Online — LINK (UG) (PG).