Take your pick of foreign language courses at Delhi University. You can choose between a cluster of part-time Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma, and full-time degree level courses at the university level or from several Colleges running their own programs in DU.
Over the last decade or so, we have witnessed an enormous surge in demand for foreign language professionals. Learning is not only great for your hobby or traveling but can also broaden foreign language job prospects, business opportunities, and careers in foreign languages.
Established in 1922, Delhi University is the premier university consistently ranked as one of the best universities in the country. With high-quality education and eminent faculty, the University of Delhi is a leader in foreign language education and research. It boasts some of the most prestigious departments of foreign languages and affiliated colleges in India.
Table of Contents
- Types of Foreign Language Courses in DU
- Which Language Should I choose in DU?
- A) List of DU colleges offering Language Programs
- B) Language Courses in Delhi University (Arts Faculty)
- Admission Procedure, Eligibility Criteria, Entrance, and Dates
- Delhi University Admission 2020-2021
Types of Foreign Language Courses in DU
When it comes to foreign language courses at the University of Delhi, students have two options. (i) Part-time courses (Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma) or (ii) Full-time Degree level courses (BA, MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D.).
There are roughly 24 DU Colleges like Hindu, Gargi, Hansraj, St. Stephen’s, Daulat Ram, Zakir Husain, Jesus & Mary, Ramjas, Lady Shri Ram to name a few, with a varied range of foreign language courses in Delhi University. You can find the entire list with all the details in this article.
For part-time courses, you have to contact the respective Colleges. Every college has a different admission procedure and dates. Admission is made mostly through cut-off marks. There is also a possibility of direct entry if the number of applicants is less than the total number of seats.
For Full-Time courses, the Arts Faculty through various departments offers PG Diploma / Advanced Diploma, Bachelor of Arts (BA), Master of Arts (MA), M.Phil, and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees in many languages. Zakir Husain and Jesus & Mary also run the UG degree course. Admission is entrance-based, and in some cases, especially UG programs are made through a merit list.
While Arts faculty also conducts part-time classes in Portuguese, Arabic, Persian, and even some less popular languages like Bulgarian, Romanian, Swahili, Polish, Tibetan, etc. These courses are not available in any Colleges affiliated to DU. Arts faculty does not offer part-time courses in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean.
Which Language Should I choose in DU?
There are many factors you should consider while choosing a foreign language to learn in DU: difficulty level, personal preference, interest, target country or region, existing skills, sectors or industries, future goals, and possible immigration, etc. Check out — How to choose a language to study?
French, Spanish, German, Chinese, and Japanese remain on top of the category wish list of most of the students interested in pursuing foreign language courses at Delhi University. However, in recent years, demand for Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Korean, and Arabic is also on the rise for a variety of reasons.
A) List of DU colleges offering Language Programs
These are the Colleges affiliated with the University of Delhi, where you can pursue various language courses in Delhi. Pick the one that suits you the best.
(i) North Campus Colleges
- St. Stephen’s College, University Enclave – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French, Spanish, German, Chinese, and Japanese. Certificate and Diploma in Arabic, and Certificate in Persian.
- Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce, Pitampura – Certificate in French, German, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.
- Satyawati College, Ashok Vihar – Certificate & Diploma in French and German.
- Daulat Ram College *, Maurice Nagar – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French, Spanish, Italian, German, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.
- Hansraj College, Malka Ganj – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French and German.
- Ramjas College, Maurice Nagar, Delhi University – Certificate in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Korean, Japanese & Chinese, Diploma in French, Japanese & Chinese, and Advanced Diploma in French.
- Keshav Mahavidyalaya, Pitampura, Near Sainik Vihar – Certificate in French and German.
- Mata Sundri College *, Mata Sundri Lane – Certificate in French, Spanish, and German.
- Miranda House *, Patel Chest Marg – Certificate in French, Spanish and German.
- SGTB Khalsa College, Mall Road – Certificate in French, Spanish, Russian, German, Korean, Chinese & Japanese, and Diploma in Spanish & German.
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, Karampura – Certificate in Russian.
- Hindu College, University of Delhi – Certificate in French, German, Spanish, and Russian.
- Zakir Husain College, Jawaharlal Nehru Marg – Certificate in Russian.
- LakshmiBai College *, Ashok Vihar – Certificate in Chinese and Japanese.
- Kalindi College *, East Patel Nagar – Certificate in Chinese.
(ii) South Campus Colleges
- Jesus & Mary College *, Chanakyapuri – Certificate in French and Spanish.
- College of Vocational Studies, Sheikh Sarai Ph-II – Certificate, and Diploma in French and German.
- Delhi College of Arts and Commerce, Netaji Nagar – Certificate in French, German & Spanish, and Diploma in Spanish & German.
- Acharya Narendra Dev College, Govindpuri, Kalkaji – Certificate in Russian, Certificate & Diploma in French, Spanish, and German & Advanced Diploma in Spanish.
- Kamla Nehru College *, August- Kranti Marg – Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French
- Bharti College *, Janakpuri – Certificate in Russian, French, Chinese & German and Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French & German.
- Sri Venkateswara College, Dhaula Kuan – Certificate in German and Chinese.
- Gargi College *, Siri Road fort – Certificate in German.
- Lady Shri Ram College *, Lajpat Nagar 4 – Certificate in Russian.
* Women’s Colleges of DU.
The Certificate level requires candidates to have passed 10+2. For Diploma and advanced diploma level, you need certification and Diploma respectively in the identical language. You can enroll based on merit or entrance test.
(iii) Arabic & Persian at Zakir Husain College
Affiliated to University of Delhi since 1925, Zakir Husain Delhi College holds the distinction of being in existence well before the establishment of Delhi University. It carries within itself nearly a history of 300 years as an institute of learning and one of the best places to learn Arabic in India.
For 2020, the total seats are 19 for BA (Hons.) in Arabic and Persian. The Arabic department, with distinguished teachers and student-centered teaching methodology, offers Bachelor’s and Master’s program focusing on the study of Arabic and Persian language and literature.
- Part-Time: Certificate in Russian.
- Full-Time: BA (Program) in Arabic and Persian.
- Full-Time: BA (Hons) in Arabic and Persian.
- Full-Time: MA in Arabic and Persian.
(iv) Spanish at Jesus & Mary College
An in-depth study of the Spanish language not only allows for better communication, but also help you dive further into astonishing Hispanic culture and their rich artistic, musical, and literary histories. The career choices in Spanish is the most sought-after motivation to learn Spanish. If you’re interested in learning Spanish in Delhi, you can consider Jesus & Mary College.
Jesus and Mary College is prominent, and one of the best Women only College of DU. JMC is offering well-designed programs in the various stream over the past five decades and has a dedicated placement cell since 1998. The college, through the Spanish department, offers BA (Hons.) in Spanish. Total seats are 18, and admission is through written exam and merit list.
- Part-Time: Certificate in French and Spanish.
- Full-Time: Bachelor in Spanish.
B) Language Courses in Delhi University (Arts Faculty)
Delhi University’s Faculty of Arts has many departments functioning under it. These are Department of Arabic, Department of Buddhist Studies, Department of Germanic and Romance Studies, Department of Persian, Department of East Asian Studies, and Department of Slavonic & Finno-Ugrian studies.
1. Department of Germanic and Romance Studies
The Department of Germanic and Romance Studies, established in 1948, is well known as one of the best places to pursue foreign language classes at Delhi University. All European philology programs offer an interdisciplinary curriculum, with a focus on history, literature, language, and culture.
Every year, a large number of students of the GRS department avail of scholarships to study or do research at leading universities in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Mexico, Romania, Austria, etc. The GRS department has cooperation agreements with several universities abroad for exchange programs and study trips for students and research scholars. The Department offers the following courses:
- 3-year BA (Hons.) in French, German, Italian, and Spanish
- MA in French, German, Hispanic (Spanish) and Italian Studies
- MPhil & Ph.D. Programme in French, German, Hispanic (Spanish) and Italian Studies
- Intensive one year Full-time Advanced Diploma in Portuguese
- Part-time: Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in Portuguese & Romanian
For academic session 2020-2021, there are 41 for each course in BA in French, Spanish, German, and Italian. For MA in French, Hispanic (Spanish), Italian, and German, it is 23 for each European tongue.
The department also offers French, Spanish, and German as Discipline Courses-II in few colleges. (i) Jesus & Mary College – French and Spanish, (ii) Delhi College of Arts and Commerce – German and Spanish, (iii) Gargi College – German, (iv) Vivekanand College – French and (v) Ramanujan College – French.
2. Department of Slavonic & Finno-Ugrian Studies
Department of Slavonic and Finno-Ugrian Studies at DU is the only place in India where one can learn Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Polish, and Hungarian from the Finno-Ugrian group. All programs combine the various aspect of the subject, ranging from language and literature to history and culture. It also acquaints students with the diverse and vibrant civilizations of the crucial areas of East-Central Europe and Russia.
The Department of Slavonic & Finno-Ugrian Studies (SFUS) provides an excellent environment to pursue language and literature study to some of the greatest literary works and scholarly writings produced in East-Central Europe and Russia. You can take an intensive Advanced Diploma in Bulgarian if you’ve got a keen interest in the culture and history of Bulgaria.
Thanks to the historical reasons to Learn Russian in India, SFUS is a popular name when it comes to Russian Course at Delhi University. For MA in Russian studies, the total seats is 30 for 2020-2021. Those who are doing an MA in Russian can also choose Polish as a complementary subject.
- Part-Time: Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Polish, Russian, and Hungarian.
- 1-year Full-Time Intensive Advanced Diploma in Russian.
- 1-year Regular Intensive Advanced Diploma in Bulgarian.
- MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in Russian.
3. Department of Arabic
The Department of Arabic is as old as the University itself, having come into existence in 1922. The Arabic language at the University of Delhi introduces students to the many facets of the middle-east and Arab world through the interdisciplinary study of arts, poetry, culture, history, religion, politics, societies, geography, and anthropology.
For a Master’s degree in Arabic, the total number of seats is 46 for the academic year 2020-2021. If you wish to learn Arabic in Delhi, DU is the second-best choice after JNU CAAS. The Department of Arabic offers:
- Part-Time: Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in Modern Arabic.
- Full-Time: BA, MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in Arabic.
4. Department of Persian
The department of Persian at the University of Delhi was established in 1955 to provide facilities for in-depth studies and research in the Persian language and literature, with particular emphasis on the history and literature produced in India and Iran.
Do you want to learn Persian in India to dive further into the mesmerizing poetry of Rumi, Hafiz, Ferdowsi, Saadi, Nizami, and Khayyam? If you do not manage to get through Jamia language entrance exams, you can have a great experience of learning Persian in Delhi by enrolling at DU. In the 2020-2021 academic year, the total seats for MA is 30. The department of Persian offers:
- Part-Time: Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma in Persian.
- Full-Time: BA, MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in Persian.
5. Department of East Asian Studies
The Department of East Asian Studies (EAS) offers students of DU a comprehensive postgraduate program focusing on China, Japan, and Korea. After starting with the Chinese language Studies in 1964, the department added the Japanese language in 1969 and the Korean language in 2001.
The program combines East Asian languages with the disciplinary study of diverse forms of culture, traditions, history, geopolitics, and social practices. If you want to enroll in one of the PG programs in East Asian studies, you have to pick one between Mandarin, Japanese, and Korean.
The total seats for Masters in East Asian Studies is 39, whereas, for Masters in Japanese, it’s 16. For Ph.D. seats, the university decides every year. The admission method for PG programs comprises a written test followed by an interview. Department of EAS offers:
- Post Graduate Intensive Diploma in Chinese (CF-1), Korean (KF-1) & Japanese (JF-1).
- Post Graduate Intensive Advanced Diploma in Chinese (CF-2), Korean (KF-2) & Japanese (JF-2).
- MA in Japanese (MA-JL)
- MA, M.Phil, and Ph.D. in East Asian studies.
6. Department of Buddhist Studies
The department of Buddhist Studies has a long history at the University of Delhi, focusing on Indian and Tibetan Buddhist traditions. The department began operating in 1957 after the celebration of 2500 years of Buddhism in 1956. The various courses at the department focus on the research of canonical and post-canonical Pali and Tibetan languages and literature of the Buddhist tradition.
The department’s primary focus is to prepare Buddhologists who would excel in knowledge, familiarization, and application of Buddhist philosophy of peace and non-violence approach with high ethical norms and social importance. Other than BHU’s Faculty of Arts, DU is yet another excellent choice. The department of Buddhist studies offers:
- Part-Time: 1-year Certificate and 1-year Diploma in Pali Language and Literature.
- Part-Time: 1-year Certificate and 1-year Diploma in Tibetan Language and Literature.
- MA, Master of Philosophy, and Ph.d. doctorate in Buddhist Studies.
7. Department of African Studies
The Department of African Studies is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences of the University of Delhi. It started in December 1954. Those who are doing M.Phil and Ph.D. in African studies have to choose the Swahili Language as a mandatory subject.
- Part-Time: 1-year Certificate and 1-year Diploma in Swahili language.
Admission Procedure, Eligibility Criteria, Entrance, and Dates
(i) For Admission in Under Graduate (BA Program)
10+2 is compulsory for a bachelor in foreign languages. For a few courses, admission is made based on an entrance exam, while for some, it is by merit list/cut-off.
If you want to pursue a part-time course in foreign languages, then you should directly contact the College concerned. Admission is usually through a merit list. The existing students of the College get the preference. Prior knowledge is not a prerequisite for Certificates. However, for Diploma and Advanced Diploma, Certificate and Diploma in the same language is obligatory.
(ii) For PG Diplomas in Chinese, Japanese and Korean
For PG Intensive Diploma, i.e., CF-1 (Chinese), JF-1 (Japanese), and KF-1 (Korean), Bachelor’s Degree is required, followed by the Common Entrance Test (SLAT) of the Department of East Asian Studies.
For PG Intensive Advanced Diploma (CF-2, JF-2 and KF-2), Bachelor’s Degree + Diploma in the corresponding tongue (KP-1) / (JP-1) / (CK-1). The final admission is based on the entrance test.
(iii) For MA courses
Minimum Eligibility is BA in any stream with good knowledge in the same language. The admission for masters in foreign languages is based on a written exam and then viva-voce in some cases too. The question paper will be in a similar language.
(iv) For Research courses, M.Phil
The candidate should have an outstanding academic record and a Master’s Degree with 55% marks. All the eligible candidates sit for the entrance test as per the dates announced by the Department. Weightage is 75 marks for written test and 25 marks for Interview. Good Knowledge in the same language is required.
(v) For Research courses, Ph.D.
The admission in DU will be granted based on an entrance examination (75 marks for written test and 25 marks for Interview). Minimum Eligibility is M.Phil or MA with an excellent academic from the University of Delhi or any recognized University. Good Knowledge in the same language is mandatory.
Delhi University Admission 2020-2021
Delhi University language course registrations start on 9th June 2020. The admission process likely to be completely online. The applicants have to visit the DU website. For part-time language courses in DU, the admission procedure might start from the end of June to July in many colleges. For more information, check the website of the College concerned or visit the College.
- Online Registration Begins From — 8th June 2020.
- Closing of Online Application Form — 30th June 2020.
- Cut-off List — 2nd Week of August to 1st Week of September 2020.
- Update Date for 12 Class mark sheet — 31st July to 9th August 2020
- Entrance Test for PG courses or wherever applicable — Yet to be announced.
- Courses Offered (UG) — BA in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Arabic, and Persian.
- Admission in BA for the languages mentioned above will be made on merit-based.
- E-prospectus for Undergraduate (UG) courses — LINK (Yet to be announced)
- Apply Online — LINK (UG) (Yet to be announced)
- Admission Helpdesk — 011 – 2700 6900, 2766 7092, 2411 6178.