Are you looking for foreign language courses in Jamia Millia Islamia? Are you interested in learning popular languages like French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Korean, Russian, Arabic, or Persian? Or less common tongues from Central Asian such as Kazakh, Turkmen, Kyrgyz, and Uzbek or Turkish courses? In this article, you will find all the relevant information related to foreign language courses offered by Jamia Millia Islamia.
Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI), located in Jamia Nagar, Delhi, is a central university approved by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and University Grants Commission (UGC). It is also accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with ‘A’ grade. In Urdu language, Jamia means ‘University, and Millia means ‘National’ Thus, Jamia Millia Islamia, which translates as Community Islamic University.
Table of Contents
- Language Courses offered by Jamia Millia Islamia
- Admission Procedure and Eligibility Criteria
- Jamia Millia Islamia Admission 2019-2020
Language Courses offered by Jamia Millia Islamia
With the advent of globalization and the interlinked world, acquiring knowledge of foreign languages in India has clearly become more than essential. There are several benefits to learning a new foreign language. The students are increasingly opting for a global language course to give an edge to their CV and be open to broader career options in foreign languages.
Whenever people think about pursuing Foreign language courses in Delhi through any College or University, The first thing that comes to the mind is JNU or DU. JMI, however, is a top-notch University when it comes to studying foreign tongues. With an amazingly large campus, JMI has highly qualified, experienced, and dedicated teaching faculty members.
It offers part-time and regular full-time degree level and research programs in multiple languages such as French, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, and Central Asian tongues, namely Kazakhi (Kazakh), Turkemenian (Turkmen), and Uzbek. Interdisciplinary study in a variety of languages allows students to integrate the acquisition of a foreign language, literature, history, traditions, and culture at JMI.
1. Faculty of Humanities and Languages
Faculty of Humanities & Languages at JMI is home to many thriving undergraduate majors, and Certificate and Diploma courses in foreign languages.
Jamia is the only university in India to offer a bachelor’s degree course in Turkish. The Centre is a unique seat of Turkish learning in India where the entire gamut of language, literature, history, culture, and civilization of Turkey, and erstwhile Ottoman World is covered.
- One-year Certificate / Diploma in Korean (Seats: 40 / 30)
- One-year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Turkish (Seats: 40 / 20 / 20).
- BA (Hons.) in Turkish Language & Literature (Seats: 30)
- BA (Hons.) in Korean Language (Seats: 30)
2. Department of Arabic
The Department of Arabic at JMI enjoys a high reputation not only in India but also in the Arab & Muslim world. It aspires to be a vibrant center of Arabic as a language of classical literature. And vital modern philology with great potential of research of high order and very richly paying language of economy and markets.
If you’re looking for degree programs in the Arabic Language in India, then JMI is probably one of the best choices. To date, more than 100 scholars have been awarded or pursuing a Ph.D. degree in Arabic. The Arabic course in Delhi center is a perfect mix of classical and modern literature apart from the maximum required focus on the language aspect and translation. Department of Arabic Offers:-
- M.Phil/Ph.D.in Arabic
- MA in Arabic (Seats: 30)
- BA (Hons.) in Arabic (Seats: 60)
- One-Year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Modern Arabic Language and Translation (Seats: 50 / 40 / 30)
3. Department of Persian
If you’re interested in pursuing the Persian course in Delhi, then The Department of Persian is a great place to be. The department has its seminar library having more than one thousand important Persian books. There are several academic activities throughout the year related to Persian language, culture, and literature. Jamia is one of the best centers to learn the Persian Language in India.
Department of Persian also offers a Part-Time PG Diploma in Iranology, Courses in Pashto, Kazhaki (Official language of Kazakhstan), and Turkemenian (Official language of Turkmenistan). Department of Persian Offers:-
- M.Phil/Ph.D. in Persian
- M.A. in Persian (Seats: 30)
- B.A. (Hons.) in Persian (Seats: 60)
- One-Year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Modern Persian (Seats: 40/40/ 20)
- One-Year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Pashto (Seats: 10 for each course)
- One-Year Certificate / Diploma in Kazhaki (Seats: 20 / 20)
- One-Year Certificate / Diploma in Turkemenian (Seats: 10 / 10)
4. Centre for Spanish and Latin American Studies
The Centre for European and Latin American Studies (CELAS) has been established to promote research and teaching on Latin America and the Caribbean as well as in different European countries like Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, and Russia.
The CELAS offers an M.Phil program in two streams: European Studies and Latin American Studies, where a working knowledge of French, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, or Spanish, depending on their area of study is expected. French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, and Catalan are the part-time language courses in JMI.
- M.Phil / Ph.D. Doctoral in European Studies / Latin American Studies – (Seats: 10)
- One-Year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in French / Spanish / Portuguese / Russian / Italian – (Seats vary from 50 to 20)
- One-Month Part-Time Certificate in Catalan
Read — (i) French Courses in Delhi (ii) Spanish Institutes in Delhi (iii) Learn Russian in Delhi (iv) Italian Classes in Delhi (v) Learn Portuguese in Delhi (vi) French, Spanish, or German? (vii) DU Language Courses (viii) Language Courses in Noida (ix) Language Courses in Gurgaon (x) JNU Language Courses (xi) BHU Language Courses (xii) Embassy language courses
5. MMAJ Academy of International Studies
The MMAJ Academy of International Studies focus areas of teaching and research and cover South Asia, Central Asia, West Asia, East Asia, and Africa. Due to the rising demand for the Chinese Language in India, the center offers Mandarin Chinese courses in Delhi.
The academy also offers a course in Uzbek. MMAJ Academy of International Studies provides:-
- 1-Year Certificate / Diploma / Intensive Diploma in Mandarin Chinese (Seats: 25 each).
- 1-Year Certificate / Diploma in the Uzbek (Seats: 20 / 10)
Admission Procedure and Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility Criteria for Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses: (10+2) with 45% marks in the aggregate. Admission for a Certificate course will be made based on marks obtained in the Entrance Test (85%) and the Interview (15%). For Diploma and Advanced Diploma, students must have completed a Certificate and Diploma respectively in the corresponding tongue.
For B.A. (Hons.) in Arabic, Persian, and Turkish – 12th or have cleared an equivalent examination from a recognized board with a minimum of 45% marks in aggregate.
For M.A. (Hons.) in Arabic and Persian – Bachelor degree in the same language or any subject with at least 45% marks in aggregate and 55% marks in the subject concerned + Advance Diploma in the corresponding language from a recognized University or institute.
For M.Phil/Ph.D. in Arabic and Persian – M.A. in the same language or any subject with at least 45% marks in aggregate and 55% marks in the subject concerned + Advance Diploma in the corresponding language from a recognized University or institute.
JMI conducts an entrance examination and an interview to offer admission to aspirants in all the courses offered by it, namely Undergraduate, Postgraduate, M.Phil. and Ph.D. as well as Diploma and Certificate Programmes.
Jamia Millia Islamia Admission 2019-2020
- Start of Online Application Process – 14th March 2019.
- Closing of Online Application Process – 12th April 2019.
- Forms Open for Editing – 13th to 15th April 2019.
- Issue of Admit Cards – 10th to 15th May 2019.
- Date of JMI Entrance Exam – May-June, 2019.
- Apply Online – LINK
- 2019-2020 E-Prospectus – LINK
JMI Admission Helpline and Contact Numbers
- Email: [email protected]
- Helpdesk (10 AM to 6 PM) — 9836219994, 9836289994, 9836319994