In my never-ending quest for language learning, our journey takes us to Jamia Millia Islamia.
Take your pick of foreign language courses at JMI.
From popular languages tongues like French and Spanish to less taught languages like Uzbek and Turkish, Jamia offers a wide range of classes.
Here, you will find everything from language programs and admission procedure 2021-22 to entrance syllabus and important dates.
With the advent of globalization and the interconnected world, studying foreign languages has undoubtedly become essential.
The perks of language learning are apparent.
Today, the students are increasingly opting for language courses to get an edge on CV and enhance the careers in foreign languages.
Table of Contents
- About Jamia Millia Islamia
- Foreign Language Courses offered by JMI
- Admission Procedure and Eligibility Criteria
- Jamia Millia Islamia Admission 2021-2022
About Jamia Millia Islamia
Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI), in Jamia Nagar, Delhi, is a central university approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and University Grants Commission (UGC).
It is accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with an ‘A’ grade.
In Urdu, Jamia means ‘University, and Millia means ‘National.’ So, Jamia Millia Islamia translates as Community Islamic University.
Foreign Language Courses offered by JMI
When it comes to pursuing Foreign language courses in Delhi through any University, the first thing that comes to mind is JNU or DU. JMI, however, is also a top-notch University for language learners.
With an amazingly vast campus, JMI has highly qualified, experienced, and dedicated teaching faculty members.
It offers part-time, regular full-time degree level and research programs in multiple languages such as French, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Persian, and Turkish.
Furthermore, JMI also conducts classes in some less widespread central Asian languages such as Kazakhi (Kazakh), Turkemenian (Turkmen), and Uzbek.
A multidisciplinary approach in various languages allows students to integrate the acquisition of foreign languages, literature, history, traditions, and culture at JMI.
1. Faculty of Humanities and Languages
Faculty of Humanities & Languages (FHL) at JMI is home to many thriving undergraduate majors and certificate and diploma courses in foreign languages.
Jamia is the only university in India to offer a bachelor’s degree course in Turkish.
The center is a unique seat of Turkish learning in India. The entire range of language, literature, history, custom, and civilization of Turkey and the erstwhile Ottoman World is covered.
Plus, it is also one of the Korean learning centers in Delhi.
- One-year Certificate / Diploma in Korean (Seats: 40 / 30)
- One-year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Turkish (Seats: 40 / 20 / 20).
- BA (Hons.) in Turkish Language & Literature (Seats: 30)
- BA (Hons.) in Korean Language (Seats: 30)
2. Department of Arabic
The Department of Arabic at Jamia Millia Islamia enjoys a high reputation in India and the Arab & Muslim world.
It aspires to be a vibrant center of Arabic as a language of classical literature.
And vital modern philology with great potential of research of high order and richly paying language of economy and markets.
If you’re looking for degree programs in the Arabic language in India, JMI is probably one of the best choices.
To date, over 100 scholars have been awarded or pursuing a Ph.D. degree in Arabic.
The Arabic course in Delhi center is a perfect mix of classical and modern literature apart from the maximum required focus on the language aspect and translation. It offers:-
- M.Phil/Ph.D. in Arabic
- MA in Arabic (Seats: 30)
- BA (Hons.) in Arabic (Seats: 60)
- One-Year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Modern Arabic language and translation (Seats: 50 / 40 / 30)
3. Department of Persian
If you’re interested in studying the Persian course in Delhi, the Department of Persian is a great place to be.
The department has its seminar library having over one thousand important Persian books.
There are several academic activities throughout the year related to the Persian language, culture, and literature.
Of all the known options, Jamia is one of India’s best centers to learn the Persian language in India.
It also offers a part-time PG Diploma in Iranology and courses in Pashto.
- M.Phil/Ph.D. in Persian
- M.A. in Persian (Seats: 30)
- B.A. (Hons.) in Persian (Seats: 60)
- 1-Year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Modern Persian (Seats: 40 / 40 / 20)
- 1-Year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Pashto (Seats: 10 for each course)
4. Centre for Spanish and Latin American
The Centre for European and Latin American Studies (CELAS) promotes the research and teaching on Latin America and the Caribbean and in different European countries like Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, and Russia.
The CELAS offers an M.Phil degree program in two streams: European Studies and Latin American Studies.
You need prior knowledge of the same language, depending on your area of study.
French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, and Catalan are the part-time language courses in JMI.
- M.Phil / Ph.D. Doctoral in European Studies / Latin American Studies – (Seats: 08)
- One-Year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in French / Spanish / Portuguese / Russian / Italian – (Seats vary between 20 to 50)
5. MMAJ Academy of International Studies
The MMAJ Academy of International Studies focuses on different parts of Asia and Africa.
The academy also offers a course in Uzbek. MMAJ Academy of International Studies provides:-
- 1-Year Certificate / Diploma / Intensive Diploma in Chinese (Seats: 25 each).
- 1-Year Certificate / Diploma in the Uzbek (Seats: 20 / 10)
Admission Procedure and Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility Criteria for Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma courses: (10+2) with 45% marks in the aggregate.
A certificate course’s admission depends on marks obtained in the entrance test (85%) and the Interview (15%).
For Diploma and Advanced Diploma, students must have completed a Certificate and Diploma respectively in the corresponding tongue.
For B.A. (Hons.) in Arabic, Persian, and Turkish – 12th passed or equivalent and a minimum of 45% marks in aggregate.
For M.A. (Hons.) in Arabic and Persian – You need Bachelor’s in the same language or any stream with an advanced Diploma in the same language from a recognized University or institute.
For M.Phil/Ph.D. in Arabic and Persian – MA in the same language or any subject with at least 45% marks in aggregate and 55% marks in the subject concerned + Advance Diploma in the corresponding language from a recognized University or institute.
JMI conducts an entrance examination and an interview to offer aspirants admission in all the courses offered by it, namely Undergraduate, Postgraduate, M.Phil. and Ph.D. and diploma and certificate programs.
Jamia Millia Islamia Admission 2021-2022
- Start of Online Application Process – February 2021 (Tentative).
- Closing of Online Application Process – March 2021 (Tentative).
- Forms Open for Editing – March 2021 (Tentative).
- Issue of Admit Cards – April 2021 (Tentative).
- Entrance Exam Date – May 2021 (Tentative).
- Last date for submitting the Qualifying Exam Result – June 2021 (Tentative).
- Apply Online – LINK
- Syllabus for Entrance Tests – LINK
- 2020-2021 E-Prospectus – LINK (2021-2022 are yet to be published)
JMI Helpline and Contact Numbers
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helpdesk (10 AM to 6 PM) — 9836219994, 9836319994, 9836289994