In my never-ending quest for language learning, our journey takes us to Jamia Millia Islamia.
Take your pick of foreign language courses at JMI.
From popular languages tongues like French and Spanish to less taught languages like Uzbek and Turkish, Jamia offers a wide range of classes.
You will find everything from language programs and admission procedures for 2023-2024 to the entrance syllabus and important dates.
With the advent of globalization and the interconnected world, studying foreign languages has undoubtedly become essential.
The perks of language learning are apparent.
Today, students are increasingly opting for language courses to get an edge on their CV and enhance their careers in foreign languages.
Table of Contents
- About Jamia Millia Islamia
- Foreign Language Courses offered by JMI
- Admission Procedure and Eligibility Criteria
- Jamia Millia Islamia Admission 2023-2024
About Jamia Millia Islamia
Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI), in Jamia Nagar, Delhi, is a central university approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and University Grants Commission (UGC).
It is accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with an ‘A’ grade.
In Urdu, Jamia means ‘University, and Millia means ‘National.’ So, Jamia Millia Islamia translates as Community Islamic University.
Foreign Language Courses offered by JMI
When pursuing Foreign language courses in Delhi through any University, the first thing that comes to mind is JNU or DU. JMI, however, is also a top-notch University for language learners.
With an amazingly vast campus, JMI has highly qualified, experienced, and dedicated teaching faculty members.
It offers part-time, regular full-time degree level and research programs in multiple languages such as French, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Persian, and Turkish.
Furthermore, JMI also conducts classes in some less widespread central Asian languages such as Kazakhi (Kazakh), Turkemenian (Turkmen), and Uzbek.
A multidisciplinary approach in various languages allows students to integrate the acquisition of foreign languages, literature, history, traditions, and culture at JMI.
1. Faculty of Humanities and Languages
The faculty of Humanities & Languages (FHL) at JMI is home to many thriving undergraduate majors and certificate and diploma courses in foreign languages.
Jamia is the only university in India to offer a bachelor’s degree course in Turkish.
The center is a unique seat of Turkish learning in India. The entire range of language, literature, history, custom, and civilization of Turkey and the erstwhile Ottoman World is covered.
Plus, it is also one of the Korean learning centers in Delhi.
- One-year Certificate / Diploma in Korean (Seats: 40 / 30)
- One-year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Turkish (Seats: 40 / 20 / 20).
- BA (Hons.) in Turkish Language & Literature (Seats: 30)
- BA (Hons.) in Korean Language (Seats: 30)
- Ma in Korean language (Seats: 25)
2. Department of Arabic
The Department of Arabic at Jamia Millia Islamia enjoys a high reputation in India and the Arab & Muslim world.
It aspires to be a vibrant center of Arabic as a language of classical literature.
And vital modern philology with great potential for research of high order and richly paying language of economy and markets.
If you’re looking for degree programs in the Arabic language in India, JMI is probably one of the best choices.
To date, over 100 scholars have been awarded or pursuing a Ph.D. degree in Arabic.
The Arabic course in Delhi center is a perfect mix of classical and modern literature apart from the maximum required to focus on the language aspect and translation. It offers:-
- M.Phil/Ph.D. in Arabic
- MA in Arabic (Seats: 30)
- BA (Hons.) in Arabic (Seats: 60)
- One-Year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Modern Arabic language and translation (Seats: 50 / 40 / 30)
3. Department of Persian
If you’re interested in studying the Persian course in Delhi, the Department of Persian is a great place to be.
The department has its seminar library having over one thousand important Persian books.
Several academic activities throughout the year related to the Persian language, culture, and literature. Of all the available options, Jamia is one of India’s best centers for learning the Persian language in India.
It also offers a part-time PG Diploma in Iranology and courses in Pashto.
- M.Phil/Ph.D. in Persian
- M.A. in Persian (Seats: 30)
- B.A. (Hons.) in Persian (Seats: 60)
- 1-Year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Modern Persian (Seats: 40 / 40 / 20)
- 1-Year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in Pashto (Seats: 10 for each course)
4. Centre for Spanish and Latin American
The Centre for European and Latin American Studies (CELAS) promotes research and teaching on Latin America, the Caribbean, and European countries like Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, and Russia.
The CELAS offers an M.Phil degree program in European Studies and Latin American Studies.
You need prior knowledge of the same language, depending on your study area.
French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, and Catalan are the part-time language courses in JMI.
From 2023-2024, CELAS has introduced BA in Spanish & Latin American studies and BA in French & Francophone studies.
- M.Phil / Ph.D. Doctoral in European Studies / Latin American Studies – (Seats: 08)
- Bachelor in Spanish / French. – (Seats: 40 each)
- One-Year Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma in French / Spanish / Portuguese / Russian / Italian – (Seats vary between 20 to 50)
5. MMAJ Academy of International Studies
The MMAJ Academy of International Studies focuses on different parts of Asia and Africa.
The academy also offers a course in Uzbek. MMAJ Academy of International Studies provides:-
- 1-Year Certificate / Diploma / Intensive Diploma in Chinese (Seats: 25 each).
- 1-Year Certificate / Diploma in Uzbek (Seats: 20 / 10)
Admission Procedure and Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility Criteria for Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma courses: (10+2) with 45% marks in the aggregate.
A certificate course’s admission depends on marks obtained in the entrance test (85%) and the Interview (15%).
For Diploma and Advanced Diploma, students must have completed a Certificate and Diploma in the corresponding tongue.
For B.A. (Hons.) in Arabic, Persian, Turkish, French, Spanish, and Korean. – 12th passed or equivalent and a minimum of 45% marks in aggregate.
For M.A. (Hons.) in Arabic, Persian, and Korean – You need Bachelor’s in the same language or any stream with an advanced Diploma in the same language from a recognized University or institute.
For M.Phil/Ph.D. in Arabic and Persian – MA in the same language or any subject with at least 45% marks in aggregate and 55% marks in the subject concerned + Advance Diploma in the corresponding language from a recognized University or institute.
JMI conducts an entrance examination and an interview to offer aspirants admission in all the courses, namely Undergraduate, Postgraduate, M.Phil., and Ph.D. and diploma and certificate programs.
Jamia Millia Islamia Admission 2023-2024
- Availability of Online Prospectus — 3rd March to 3rd April 2023.
- Forms Open for Editing – 4th April to 6th April 2023.
- Issue of Admit Cards – 10th April 2023 onwards.
- Entrance Exam Date – 15th April 2023 onwards.
- Last date for submitting the Qualifying Exam Result – 30th September 2023.
- Apply Online – LINK
- 2023-2024 E-Prospectus — LINK
JMI Helpline and Contact Numbers
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helpdesk (10 AM to 6 PM) — 9836219994, 9836319994, 9836289994