Are you looking to pursue foreign language courses at EFLU (English and Foreign Language University)? Dedicated to the study of English and foreign languages, EFL is one of the best University and only one of its kind in India if you’re interested in learning a language.
Established in 1958, the Language Courses at EFLU if offered through three campuses: the main campus is in Hyderabad. Two regional branches were built in Shillong (1973) and Lucknow (1979) to cater to Northeast and North India. The EFL regularly conducts national and international seminars, conferences, events, and workshops, and invites eminent researchers to address the students on research methodology and state of research in the field of languages.
The EFLU is the only University in India and South Asia that focuses exclusively on the teaching of languages. The main thrust of the University is to conduct advanced research and training in various tongues such as Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Persian and Turkish in the areas of Teacher Education, Production of teaching materials, Literature, History, Linguistics, Traditions, Customs, Interdisciplinary, and Cultural Studies.
The University currently has Memorandum of Understanding with 14 Universities located in 9 countries, including USA, UK, France, Germany, Belgium, and Italy. Students are sent on student-exchange programs to other Universities abroad, and this hones their research skills. EFLU has had a long tradition of inviting internationally reputed scholars, intellectuals, visiting and guest faculty for public lectures, seminars, and conferences.
Read — (i) Language Courses in JNU (ii) Language Courses in DU (iii) Jamia Language Courses (iv) Language Courses at BHU (v) Mumbai University Language Courses (vi) VBU Language Courses (vii) Language Courses at Hyderabad (viii) Language Classes at Lucknow (ix) Language Institutes in Delhi (x) Language Centres in Kolkata (xi) IGNOU – SOFL
EFL University Hyderabad
Today, the University has seven schools, 5 in the English Division and 2 in the Foreign Languages Division, and 26 Departments. EFL University Hyderabad offers graduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. doctorate research programs. Besides, It also provides pg diplomas, short-term Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma courses and degrees through the distance mode.
The Hyderabad center has a Ramesh Mohan Library which provides resources for research. The library has massive stockholding of nearly two lakh books, access to a vast number of international journals on different databases, e-books, CDs, videotapes and inter-library loan facilities on request. It has also digitized around 1600 dissertations submitted by research students, which are accessible on the University’s website.
To encourage students to join the research programs, EFL offers several scholarships and other incentives. The Foreign Languages Division offers courses in Arabic, Persian, Chinese, Japanse, Korean, French, German, Spanish, Italian, and Russian from Beginners Certificate level or zero-level to Ph.D. All programs offer an interdisciplinary curriculum, with an emphasis on literature, language, and culture.
EFLU offers Foreign Language courses at Hyderabad through two schools, School of European Languages and School of Arab and Asian studies. There are four departments in the School of European Languages:
1) Department of French and Francophone Studies,
2) Department of Germanic Studies,
3) Department of Russian Studies and
4) Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies.
European languages occupy a place of eminence in the cultural world as a whole. Of all the European tongues French, German, Spanish, and Russian are four popular foreign languages in India and some of the most taught languages in the world.
Department of French, Germanic Studies, Russian Studies, Hispanic and Italian studies under School of European Languages also promotes research in the areas of linguistics and phonetics, translation, literature, and teaching of the corresponding language. The different departments also organize seminars, events, talks, workshops, conferences, extension lecture, and colloquiums.
Part-Time courses in European Languages (French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian)
- 1-year Certificate of Proficiency in French / German / Spanish / Italian / Russian.
- 1-year part-time Diploma of Proficiency French / German / Spanish / Italian / Russian.
- 1-year Advanced Diploma of Proficiency French / German / Spanish / Italian / Russian.
- 1-year Intensive Advanced Diploma / Intensive Higher Advanced Diploma in Russian
- Russian is also offered as an optional course at the undergraduate level.
Full-time courses in European Languages (French, Spanish, German, Russian)
- 3-year B.A.(Hons.) in French / German / Spanish / Russian.
- 2-year M.A. in French / German / Spanish / Russian Language & Literature.
- M.Phil / Ph.D. Research Degree in French / German / Spanish / Russian Language & Literature.
There are two departments in the School of Arab and Asian studies. Both departments offer several foreign language courses in EFLU Hyderabad campus.
1) Department of Arab studies, and
2) Department of Asian languages.
Part-Time courses in Arab & Asian languages. (Arabic, Persian, Japanese, Chinese & Korean)
- 1-year part-time Certificate of Proficiency in Arabic / Persian / Japanese / Chinese / Korean.
- 1-year part-time Diploma of Proficiency in Arabic / Persian / Japanese / Chinese / Korean.
- 1-year part-time Advanced Diploma of Proficiency in Arabic / Korean.
- 1-year part-time Diploma in Translation (Arabic – English).
Full-time courses in Arab studies and Asian languages. (Arabic and Japanese)
- 3-year full-time B.A.(Hons.) in Arabic / Japanese.
- 2-year full-time M.A. in Arabic / Japanese Language & Literature.
- 1-year full-time Post-graduate Diploma in Teaching of Arabic (PGDTA)
- Ph.D. Research Degree in Arabic Language & Literature.
EFL university Shillong
Nestled among the pines in one of the most scenic cities of North-East India, the EFLU Shillong Campus was established in 1973. The English and Foreign Languages University (EFLU) Shillong Campus offers Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses in French, Russian, German, and Spanish languages. The teaching hours is 150 hrs approx for each program.
EFL university Lucknow
Established in 1979, The EFL University Lucknow campus is housed in the Moti Mahal Campus, Rana Pratap Marg. They offer Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses in Russian, French, and Spanish languages. The sessions generally commence in July every year. Most of these Part-time classes typically begin in the mornings (7-9 am) or evenings (6-8 pm).
Admission Procedure & Eligibility for Foreign Languages Courses
- No prior knowledge in the corresponding language is required for admission in Certificate courses. However for Diploma and Advanced Diploma, if one has done the proficiency from some other institution other than the EFL University, one has to write the Entrance Test.
- For BA (Hons.) – Pass in the Intermediate/10+2 examination or its equivalent with 50% marks for general/OBC, and 45% for SC/ST candidates, with English as one of the subjects.
- For MA – You need a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with a certificate of B1 level proficiency or Advanced Diploma in the same language.
- For Post-graduate Diploma in Teaching of Arabic (PGDTA) – M.A. in Arabic / Arabic Literature/ Linguistics / Teaching of Arabic with 55% marks for general/OBC, 50% marks for SC/ST candidates.
- For Ph.D. – MA in the similar language with 55% marks for general/OBC, 50% marks for SC/ST candidates. Candidates are required to give an interview before the Head of Department after having cleared the Ph.D. Entrance Test conducted by the University every year.
For Admission in B.A. (Hons.), M.A. and Ph.D. are done through all India Entrance exam. All entrance tests, except for Ph.D. programs, are based on multiple-choice type questions on OMR sheet and are electronically evaluated to eliminate errors. The duration of each entrance test is two hours. Interview dates for Ph.D. programs will be announced at a later date.
EFLU Admission 2019-2020 (Dates, Courses, and Seats)
- Start of Online Application Process — 07th February 2019.
- Closing of Online Application Process — 26th February 2019.
- Date of EFLU Entrance Exam — 09th and 10th March 2019.
- Admission and Registration for selected candidates – April-May 2019.
- Courses offered (UG)— BA in Arabic, French, Japanese, German, Spanish, and Russian.
- Courses offered (PG) — MA in Arabic, French, German, Spanish, Russian, and PGDTA in Arabic.
- Courses offered (Doctorate) — Ph.D. in Arabic, French, German, Spanish and Russian.
- Total Number of Seats — 20 for each course except Ph.D.
- e-Prospectus for 2019-2020 — LINK