Are you looking to pursue foreign language courses at EFLU (English and Foreign Language University) for the academic session 2021-2022?
Dedicated to studying English and foreign languages, EFL is one of the best universities and only one of its kind in India.
Established in 1958, the language courses at EFL University are offered through three campuses: Hyderabad is the main campus.
They built two regional branches in Shillong (1973) and Lucknow (1979) to cater to Northeast and North India.
The EFLU regularly conducts national and international seminars, conferences, events, and workshops and invites eminent researchers to address the students’ research methodology and state of research in languages.
Table of Contents
About EFL University
The EFLU is the only University in India and South Asia that focuses exclusively on the teaching of languages.
The University’s primary thrust is to conduct advanced research and training in various tongues, such as French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Arabic, Persian, Chinese, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
The area includes teacher education, teaching materials, history, literature, linguistics, traditions, and cultural studies.
The EFL University has a Memorandum of Understanding with 14 Universities in 9 countries, including the USA, UK, France, Germany, Belgium, and Italy.
Students are sent on student-exchange programs to other Universities abroad, and this hones their research skills.
EFL University has had a long tradition of inviting internationally reputed scholars, intellectuals, visiting and guest faculty for public lectures, seminars, and conferences.
1. EFLU Hyderabad
Today, the University has seven schools, 5 in the English Division and 2 in the Foreign Languages Division, and 26 Departments.
EFL University Hyderabad offers graduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. doctorate research programs.
It also provides pg diplomas, short-term certificates, diplomas, and Advanced Diploma courses and degrees through the distance mode.
The Hyderabad center has a Ramesh Mohan Library, which provides resources for research.
The library has massive stockholding of nearly two lakh books, access to many international journals on different databases, e-books, CDs, videotapes, and inter-library loan facilities on request.
It has also digitized around 1600 dissertations submitted by research students, accessible on the University’s website.
To encourage students to join the research programs, EFL offers several scholarships and other incentives.
The Foreign Languages Division at EFLU offers courses in Arabic, Persian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, German, Spanish, Italian, and Russian from beginners certificate level or zero-level to Ph.D.
All programs offer a multidisciplinary syllabus with an emphasis on literature, language, and culture.
EFLU offers Foreign Language courses at Hyderabad through two schools, the School of European Languages and the School of Arab and Asian studies.
There are four departments in the School of European Languages:
1) Department of French and Francophone Studies,
2) Department of Germanic Studies,
3) Department of Russian Studies and
4) Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies.
European languages occupy a place of eminence in the cultural world as a whole.
Of all the European tongues, French, German, Spanish, and Russian are four popular foreign languages in India and some most taught languages globally.
Department of French, Germanic Studies, Russian Studies, Hispanic and Italian studies under the School of European Languages also promote research in linguistics and phonetics, translation, literature, and teaching of the corresponding language.
The different departments also organize seminars, events, talks, workshops, conferences, extension lectures, and colloquiums.
A) School of European Languages
Part-Time courses in European Languages (French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian)
- 1-year Certificate of Proficiency in French / German / Spanish / Italian / Russian.
- 1-year part-time Diploma of Proficiency French / German / Spanish / Italian / Russian.
- 1-year Advanced Diploma of Proficiency French / German / Spanish / Italian / Russian.
- 1-year Intensive Advanced Diploma / Intensive Higher Advanced Diploma in Russian
- Russian is also offered as an optional course at the undergraduate level.
Full-time courses in European Languages (French, Spanish, German, Russian)
- 3-year BA (Hons.) in French / German / Spanish / Russian.
- 2-year MA in French / German / Spanish / Russian Language & Literature.
- M.Phil / Ph.D. Research Degree in French / German / Spanish / Russian Language & Literature.
There are two departments in the School of Arab and Asian studies.
Both departments offer several foreign language courses at the EFLU Hyderabad campus.
B) Department of Arab and Asian Studies
Part-Time courses in Arab & Asian languages. (Arabic, Persian, Japanese, Chinese & Korean)
- 1-year part-time Certificate of Proficiency in Arabic / Persian / Japanese / Chinese / Korean.
- 1-year part-time Diploma of Proficiency in Arabic / Persian / Japanese / Chinese / Korean.
- 1-year part-time Advanced Diploma of Proficiency in Arabic / Korean.
- 1-year part-time Diploma in Translation (Arabic – English).
Full-time courses in Arab studies and Asian languages. (Arabic and Japanese)
- 3-year full-time BA (Hons.) in Arabic / Japanese.
- 2-year full-time MA in Arabic / Japanese Language & Literature.
- 1-year full-time Post-graduate Diploma in Teaching of Arabic (PGDTA)
- Ph.D. Research Degree in Arabic Language & Literature.
Read → (i) Learn languages at JNU (ii) Delhi University (iii) Jamia Millia Islamia (iv) BHU language courses (v) Mumbai University (vi) VBU (vii) Language Courses at Hyderabad (viii) Language classes at Lucknow (ix) IGNOU – SOFL (x) Doon University.
2. EFLU Shillong
Nestled among the pines in one of the most scenic cities of North-East India, it established the EFLU Shillong Campus in 1973.
The English and Foreign Languages University (EFLU) Shillong Campus offers certificate, diploma, and advanced diploma courses in French, Russian, German, and Spanish.
The teaching hours are 150 hours approx for each program.
3. EFLU Lucknow
The EFL University Lucknow campus, established in 1979, is housed in the Moti Mahal Campus, Rana Pratap Marg.
The sessions generally start in July every year.
Most of these Part-time classes typically begin in the mornings (7-9 am) or evenings (6-8 pm).
- Certificate in Russian, French, Spanish, and German (Non-Intensive Mode).
- Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Russian, French, and Spanish (Non-Intensive Mode).
- Certificate and Diploma of Proficiency in Russian (Intensive Mode).
Admission Procedure and Eligibility Criteria
- No prior knowledge in the corresponding language is required for admission in Certificate courses. However, for Diploma and Advanced Diploma, if one has done the proficiency from some other institution other than the EFL University, one has to write the Entrance Test.
- For BA (Hons.) – Pass in the Intermediate/10+2 examination or its equivalent with 50% marks for general/OBC and 45% for SC/ST candidates, English is one of the subjects.
- For MA – You need a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with a B1 level proficiency certificate or Advanced Diploma in the same language.
- For Post-graduate Diploma in Teaching of Arabic (PGDTA) – MA in Arabic / Arabic Literature/ Linguistics / Teaching of Arabic with 55% marks for general/OBC, 50% marks for SC/ST candidates.
- For Ph.D. – MA in a similar language with 55% marks for general/OBC, 50% marks for SC/ST candidates. Candidates are required to give an interview before the Head of Department after having cleared the Ph.D. The Entrance Test is conducted by the University every year.
EFL University Entrance Test
For Admission in BA (Hons.), MA and Ph.D. are done through all India entrance exams.
All entrance tests, except for Ph.D. programs, are based on multiple-choice type questions on the OMR sheet and are electronically evaluated to eliminate errors.
The duration of each entrance test is two hours. Interview dates for Ph.D. programs will be announced at a later date.
Admission 2021-2022 (Dates, Courses, Seats)
- Start of Online Application Process — Yet to be announced.
- Closing of Online Application Process — Yet to be announced.
- Entrance Exam Date (UnderGraduate) — Yet to be announced.
- Entrance Exam Date (PostGraduate) — Yet to be announced.
- Admission and Registration for selected candidates – Yet to be announced.
- Courses offered (UG)— BA in Arabic, French, Japanese, German, Spanish, and Russian.
- Courses offered (PG) — MA in Arabic, French, German, Spanish, Russian, and PGDTA in Arabic.
- Courses offered (Doctorate) — Ph.D. in Arabic, French, German, Spanish, and Russian.
- Total Number of Seats — 20 for each course except Ph.D.
- Entrance Test Centers — 23 cities across India.
- e-Prospectus for 2020-2021 — LINK (For the academic term 2021-2022, they are yet to publish)
For queries about EFLU admissions
- Contact: 040- 27689 733/647/447. (10 am to 5 pm from Monday to Friday).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org